need help with 1980 can am 250 qualifier dirt bike

i just picked up a 1980 can am 250 qualifier dirt bike and need a couple of question awncered like on the clutch side with all the gears dose it use oil in there if so what type took the cover off today and there was no oil tto be seen just woundering if it used oil or not im pretty sure it dose but just want to double check. what mix should the gas and oil should be?and there a fitting on the gear box on the motor near the chain i saw what sopose to be hooked up there i saw in a you tube video a fuel line coming out of it if so were dose it go to

im use to working on boats and vintage sleds im just starting to get into dirt bikes so need a little help

Post a pic of your engine. I had an older one. The oil from the gearbox should also be in the clutch housing. If the oil level is too low, it won't run over into the clutch.The fitting is most likely a vent for the gearbox.

The filler is the plastic knob with the tube attached on the top of the case. Remove the alen screw just below the shifter for the fill level. You hold the shift lever up to gain access to this screw. When oil pours out there, the level is full. A tad more than a 1 quart. Clean with a q-tip first to keep grunge out of the case. I use 20w-50 non-detergent oil. The manual suggests 30w. What works best is Kal Gard with Moly (no longer made). The moly made shifting smoother. The clutch never slips with the moly too. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the engine. I am the original owner of a 1980 250 qualifier and it still runs great (handles like a shopping cart, but always did). Always fun and this motor runs and runs and runs. Lots of low end torque and still gains power as the revs grow. The rotary valve is an awesome design.

Premix oil is non-synthetic 32:1 ratio mixed with the gas.

The tube on the filler knob is a vent tube and goes up into the airbox. DO NOT ATTACH THIS TO THE FUEL OR CARB VENT TUBES.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Last edited: