Need Help With a Cat Minibike

i am restoring my first minibike which is some kind of cat. the problem i'm having is with the shock absorber assembly on the fork-- this is the one with the small absorber in the middle of the fork. when i disassembled it, i wasn't paying attention to the way it was put together. after it came back from the sandblaster, there was one bearing that i didn't remember seeing. is there one or more bearings that install in the front fork? can anyone give me an order i.e. bottom cap, spring, top cap, etc.? or maybe a picture? also, i'm looking for the correct foot peg covers, 3/4" i think.

gee whiz where did you get that cat decal? it looks great with the chrome. i guess i'm going the cheap route by painting the handle bars. i would definitely like to put the cat decal on the front though.

anyway, from the pictures you guys posted of the absorber, i'm going to say that there are no bearings that fit down in the caps. there's no room if only three coils are exposed. thanks for everyone's help.

when i finish, i'll post a before and after reply in the designated thread.

Calling All Cat Restorers

:helpsmilie:

i have some more questions if anyone wants to help.

How long are the angle irons (seat braces) for the bikes with seat shocks?

Where can i get a good 19" seat? I prefer to not buy one of those generic ones with the white beading.

What size are the wheel bearings? 5/8" id? od?

Will an ebay brake caliper work?
BRAKE CALIPER GO KART MINI BIKE MINIBIKE GOCART PARTS: eBay Motors (item 360264027468 end time May-28-10 17:18:11 PDT)

Where can i get the original style carlisle tires?

Where can i get the chain guide? It doesn't have to be original.

Last edited:
I'll answer what I can

Where can i get a good 19" seat? I prefer to not buy one of those generic ones with the white beading. try contacting kbs8ball on here-he does great work.

What size are the wheel bearings? 5/8" ID x 1 3/8" OD I believe.

Will an ebay brake caliper work? not on the stock bracket without modification.
BRAKE CALIPER GO KART MINI BIKE MINIBIKE GOCART PARTS: eBay Motors (item 360264027468 end time May-28-10 17:18:11 PDT)

I didn't know the 400X had a guide on it?

I didn't know the 400X had a guide on it?
thanks minibikin', i'm not sure if it was original or not; it looks factory though. i would have kept the one on it, but when i unbolted it from the motor plate, it cracked in two. i'll probably just fabricate something-- pretty simple piece really.

just to clarify, this is the plastic piece that mounts where i've seen a lot of motor plates notched out to avoid interference with the chain.

thanks minibikin', i'm not sure if it was original or not; it looks factory though. i would have kept the one on it, but when i unbolted it from the motor plate, it cracked in two. i'll probably just fabricate something-- pretty simple piece really.

just to clarify, this is the plastic piece that mounts where i've seen a lot of motor plates notched out to avoid interference with the chain.
I guess I was asking if it is original since I have not seen one before. Good to know as I seem to "inherit" lots of these bikes.:thumbsup:

gee whiz where did you get that cat decal? it looks great with the chrome. i guess i'm going the cheap route by painting the handle bars. i would definitely like to put the cat decal on the front though.

anyway, from the pictures you guys posted of the absorber, i'm going to say that there are no bearings that fit down in the caps. there's no room if only three coils are exposed. thanks for everyone's help.

when i finish, i'll post a before and after reply in the designated thread.
HT, the decal set was made last year as I was preparing for this restoration. It's not perfect or original, but it looks great on the CAT. As to the handle bars it's the original chrome finish, cleaned and polished.

Correct on the bearings, there are none at the sping or in the downtube just the 5/8 bolt. I used a thin brass 5/8 washer between the triple tree and downtube.

Where can i get a good 19" seat? I prefer to not buy one of those generic ones with the white beading.

What size are the wheel bearings? 5/8" id? od?

Will an ebay brake caliper work?

HT, you can find answers to some of your questions on my CAT 350ss clone resoration thread, just click on the link below. Also try the serch tab on this website, there are many other great threads on CAT's.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/27095-cat-350ss-clone-1970-restoration-5.html

HT, the decal set was made last year as I was preparing for this restoration. It's not perfect or original, but it looks great on the CAT. As to the handle bars it's the original chrome finish, cleaned and polished.

Correct on the bearings, there are none at the sping or in the downtube just the 5/8 bolt. I used a thin brass 5/8 washer between the triple tree and downtube.
ask Metalman...... To copy one of these stickers is piracy... :shrug:

if you think Cat still exists enough to find out that you copied a sticker to make your rusted out trash bike like NEW........... and show it off to other lovers... and THEY will be pissed... you are stupid.....

Metalman had that connection...

and I will bet he still does.....

tell him that I sent you and that is worth one dollar alone.... :shrug:

:doah: Hey Runninlate, I see where we are now..

I meant that the company is done and gone and although I guess TECHNICALLY it is against the law to recreate the sticker... Some bigger more reputable places may not want to mess with it... It is not really an issue I wouldn't say... I was just trying to point out that to be afraid of getting a sticker made so your old Cat minibike can look as it belongs just because someone claims you'll go to jail is nearly the same thing as being brainwashed... :confused:

Don't be worried about piddly stuff like a sticker to a company long gone.. Cat doesn't care if you duplicate their sticker for your Cat minibike.. Don't let anyone tell ya different.. You going to prison for fixing up your old minibike is just plain Hogwash... :wink: