Need help with wheel choices and sprocket count for Trailhorse GT800

Daniel Coop

I need help deciding what 6" wheel and sprocket count I should use for upsizing from my 4" steelies. I'm considering the Astro's but don't know how wide I should go and weather I should use a 60t sprocket or a 72. The original jackshaft is still on the bike and it's got a Raptor 3 with a 16t clutch. I am not opposed to swapping clutches. I'd like a good medium gear ratio, not to torquey, not to slow. I'm also wondering about the brake. Do I upgrade to a drum in sprocket or keep the original band brake on the opposite side from the sprocket? I am also looking for an original jackshaft/chain guard and rear fender. Thanks. IMG_20161123_220814.jpg

Last edited:
Search online for go kart speed calculators. Then just plug in the variables.

With 6" wheels you have two common tire sizes 4.10 x 3.50 and 5.30 x 4.50.

The smaller wheels typically are 12-13 inches diameter and the larger are 14-16 inches diameter.

Here's an example of the smaller wheels.

People generally stay in the 5-7 ratio range depending on power or top speed desire.

Nice bike! Technically it's a Trail Blazer. I'm guessing you got the bike not too long ago. The guy you got it from bought that sticker from me that I made. I would probably go with the five spoke Trail Horse or the Astro wheels on that bike.

Daniel Coop

Thanks everyone for their help! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience. There's only one day left on the GoPower wheels auction on eBay, but yes I still have those wheels. I got them with the intention of using them on my Trailhorse (which yes, I just recently picked up) before I realized what they were and then had a hell of a time locating a sprocket, which someone else is auctioning off on eBay. As far as gearing goes, am I correct in thinking that you'd have a higher top speed with a 60t sprocket and more low end torque with a 72? I do eventually want to pick up a Tav torque converter for it, so I'm not sure how or if that will affect my decision?

Thanks everyone for their help! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience. There's only one day left on the GoPower wheels auction on eBay, but yes I still have those wheels. I got them with the intention of using them on my Trailhorse (which yes, I just recently picked up) before I realized what they were and then had a hell of a time locating a sprocket, which someone else is auctioning off on eBay. As far as gearing goes, am I correct in thinking that you'd have a higher top speed with a 60t sprocket and more low end torque with a 72? I do eventually want to pick up a Tav torque converter for it, so I'm not sure how or if that will affect my decision?
Yes, that is correct. If you want power out of the hole or need to climb hills go with the 72. If you are sure you are going with the TAV, go with the 60.

Last edited:

6doggie3

I have a set of trail horse 6" mag wheels to trade if you can pull the wheels off ebay! And I think I have a sprocket for them? But no tires!

Daniel Coop

Consider it done if you have a sprocket Doggie. PM me what you got to trade exactly and details of how we get the deal done

Last edited:
Hey Daniel!! 6" wheels look way better on those bikes in my opinion!! And Tom is right if those bars are original they make it a Trail Blazer!! Heres one I did with 6" wheels and a torque converter with a 60 th rear sprocket and 12 th front and a mildly built Predator.....Love your stretched db30 by the way!!

Daniel Coop

Thanks Jdogg, I have been seeing your work online since I got into this hobby, so that means a lot to me. It was my first build, so I guess I kinda set my own bar high. That Trailhorse you built is sick. Love the custom plexiglass Tav cover. Looks like you opted to ditch the band brake in favor of a drum in sprocket? But did that bike not have it's jackshaft? If not, did you remove it and why? I would like the drum in sprocket too, but am not sure how I'd do it with the jackshaft and the sprocket and band brake being on opposite sides. Is that why the jackshaft on yours is gone? I'd also like to talk to you about a steering dampener for my DB. With the upper portion of the frame being done in box steel, the typical bar clamp style mount won't work for me unless I can mount it on one of the lower front frame bars.

Hey Daniel thanks!! Honestly I don't remember all the reasons I took the jack shaft off..... but the original had been modified, then I changed it and in the end took it off probably cause with the Tav on there the chain run was pretty short! I used the rear band brake and wished I had done something else....it doesn't do much!! I just welded a bracket on the side for a mount for the dampener on the Blazer....not the best pict but you can kinda see the bracket and it just bolts through it but you could weld a bolt on it too or straight to the side of the frame also....I can get a better pict of this mount if you would like just let me know!!

OOps never mind with the bracket idea I went back and saw that your frame on the DB30 is powder coated.....I would try and mock up on the lower rail too and see if the dampener meshes!

Daniel Coop

Thanks to fellow forum member J. Ackerman I now have some OG Trailhorse mag wheels and sprocket with rare spacer/hub. (Photos courtesy of J. Ackerman)