Need info on 2 speed clutch for 70 fox trail or street scamp

markus

This assembly was off a Trail Tramp (sorry best photos I have of it anymore)

disregard the frame/engine its mounted on in this pic but it was setup the same way on the Fox frames ( 1st gear inside/under for fox frame the bike, 2nd gear outside the frame)

Fix engines used a 3" long crankshaft/pto (not a ball bearing supported though) Even that was too short for the fairbanks dual clutch so they had a spacer and longer bolt to get the securing bolt past the clutch unit, something important to remember!

Thank you Markus. Just what I was looking for. My son is restoring my old trail tramp and I have described what it looks like to him. But wanted something he could really visualize. Been looking for the clutches. Still have one of them on the motor. But lost the other side. Not sure which one we have to many years have past. Anyways that’s all he lacks and muffler to be back to original. Again thanks for the info. Scott

markus

Thank you Markus. Just what I was looking for. My son is restoring my old trail tramp and I have described what it looks like to him. But wanted something he could really visualize. Been looking for the clutches. Still have one of them on the motor. But lost the other side. Not sure which one we have to many years have past. Anyways that’s all he lacks and muffler to be back to original. Again thanks for the info. Scott

No problem, I totally forgot I had this photo from a manual showing the actual breakdown of the unitwhich may help better if you took it all apart :D

Its been awhile since I messed with the ones I had. they were fairbanks morse/colt industries made though and may be worth using those specific names for maybe hunting parts from time to time. I dont know how much of the clutch parts crossed with single speed units though. I did look in my Fox parts book for those bikes and they did not show the clutch (driver) in parts only as a complete clutch....it was Fox part number 203-993 clutch, 2 speed asa35-3/4" bore, the actual fairbanks/colt part number will most likely vary though, as they did sell that as a kit like Comet did with there 2 speeds.

Good luck with it!

No problem, I totally forgot I had this photo from a manual showing the actual breakdown of the unitwhich may help better if you took it all apart :D

Its been awhile since I messed with the ones I had. they were fairbanks morse/colt industries made though and may be worth using those specific names for maybe hunting parts from time to time. I dont know how much of the clutch parts crossed with single speed units though. I did look in my Fox parts book for those bikes and they did not show the clutch (driver) in parts only as a complete clutch....it was Fox part number 203-993 clutch, 2 speed asa35-3/4" bore, the actual fairbanks/colt part number will most likely vary though, as they did sell that as a kit like Comet did with there 2 speeds.

Good luck with it!
This assembly was off a Trail Tramp (sorry best photos I have of it anymore)

disregard the frame/engine its mounted on in this pic but it was setup the same way on the Fox frames ( 1st gear inside/under for fox frame the bike, 2nd gear outside the frame)

Fix engines used a 3" long crankshaft/pto (not a ball bearing supported though) Even that was too short for the fairbanks dual clutch so they had a spacer and longer bolt to get the securing bolt past the clutch unit, something important to remember!

Good luck with it!

Good luck with it!

Good luck with it!
actually i only have one clutch. I also have that diagram my son found somewhere. But my understanding of it is that it’s two clutches back to back is that right. Or is it a two sided clutch??