Need Lil Indian w/Clinton specs

I have a couple of Lil Indian frames laying around along with a few Clinton Panther 2 smokers. I'd really like to build one similar to the old ad. It looks like it used a brake handle for the throttle. Were they using the disk brakes on these models, and were the motors all white or did they match the frame color? Any particulars you can lend is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: trying to post picture of the ad with no luck.

880fac60.jpg

Last edited:

markus

I've seen them with red and white Clintons on them in literature. They used some sort of internal drum or band brake assembly. I dont think I have ever seen any of the internals ever photos online, but the parts list shows the drum being separate from the sprocket somehow, and list the lining as a band brake, the wheels were Hands wheels. Remember, those early frames are a lot different than the later ones, the frame and forks are smaller with different bends and brackets, no fender provisions or suspension spring, 3/4" rear axle but 5/8 front and headtube bolt, etc.

I have a couple of the early double knuckle style brake/throttle levers they used on the early bikes left if you end up building one.

Hey thanks a lot Markus. I was hoping you'd respond, I know you're a wealth of Lil Indian info. Good to know about the frame, I sure didn't. I'd love to see how that brake setup worked. I could probably fab one up.

tyleryamaha

Hello Aarron...I have restored 3 of the early LiL Indian bikes with Clinton 2 cycle engines. My dad bought me a brand new 1962 LiL Indian in kit form when I was 6 yrs. old. I can send you pic's of the rear brake assy. if you would like. Send me your Phone # and I can send you pic's. The parts for these bike are super hard to find ! I also have a pic with Ray Michrina (founder of LiL Indian)sitting on one of the bikes that I restored.

This place is the best. Tyleryamaha sent me numerous pics of his early Lil Indian/Clinton minis. Really good info and showed how me much I didn't know! Thanks again!

Some pics of Early Lil Indian's , one pic of me in 1963 sitting on my 1962 Lil Indian kit bike that my dad purchased new from Troy Ruttman. A pic of Ray Michrina sitting on my 1963 Lil Indian that I restored.

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's some pics from Kyle Moody's eBay listing of his 64 Clinton powered Lil Indian that I saved and a shot of another from one of the shows in Michigan. I've never seen one with the footrest bar on the inside of the frame like the ad shows, maybe they were even earlier yet?.
Lil Indian_Clinton.jpg
Lil Indian_Kit.jpg Rear_brake_001.jpg
Rear_brake_002.jpg
Rear_brake_003.jpg Chain_002.jpg Throttle_001.jpg