Need your advice ASAP on broken TC driven pulley

The seller is not going to honor the new driven pulley "button" being broken after five minutes of riding.
Is it safe to ride the bike since the button that broke off is one of the back one's? (trailing edge)
175630-4e640b68c8dacf506e0e8996c5259fcc.jpg
175631-4fb69d37b1c6c7aee51f1f955cd228d0.jpg

It does look like it is for reverse direction operation. I'll have to fire up thee bike and see if the driven clutch does in fact only use the "buttons" in one direction only.
I have not found on the internet a single post/video on the driven clutch in operation and when the plastic buttons are in use. ( direction)

chrisr

I believe the otter sheave just goes forward counterclockwise and then when you come to a stop it returns to the just left position like in your picture. If you were using a reverse wound spring it would be to the right in your picture and go clockwise.

I just got a reply from Comet clutches about the 'Buttons"
Here it is:
"Yes, for a reverse operation and also helps when traveling at full speed and locking up brakes. (backlash)"

So if I do ride my bike with the one broken button and not have to slam-on-the-brakes, I should be good to go. I have a set of the buttons coming from the USA but they are just so slow to post the parts.

As long as the other two buttons on the trailing edge are still good you should be okay. The reason they are there is when you are coasting, the pulley will rotate backward and if the spring can't hold the backtorque, the buttons on the backside of the pulley will limit the amount the pulley can rotate.

Honestly, just buy another set of buttons. They're like $5 on OldMiniBikes.

I took the bike for a ride this morning. The TC seems to be working well. However, the master link clip split while I was 1/2 mile down the trail. The rest of the master link went into orbit. No damage done to the bike. I had to push the bike back to the trailer which was a good cardio workout.
Now I need to verify which chain I have. The measurements are a 40 class for sure. The width is the problem. I think it is a 420 chain as a 41 is too wide and a 40 is too short. Nothing on the bike is marked nor are the chain links.

The new buttons showed up and are installed. You have to drill of the old stud which is no big deal. Putting in the new button takes some skill as it goes into the pulley's hole at an slight angle.
A test ride was normal and I'm hoping the master link stays together.

chrisr

"A test ride was normal and I'm hoping the master link stays together."

I clean the master link the side that slides in/out and put a dab of ATV on it to insure it does not come loose. Seems to work.

The new buttons showed up and are installed. You have to drill of the old stud which is no big deal. Putting in the new button takes some skill as it goes into the pulley's hole at an slight angle.
A test ride was normal and I'm hoping the master link stays together.
Sometimes I have a problem where the trailing edge buttons fall out of the pulley at high speeds. I always put a very light dab of high temp silicone on them to convince them not to leave the party early.