New chain on jackshaft either too tight or too loose.

New chain installed is extremely tight. Took a lot of effort to insert master link as it was oh-so-close but not quite lined up. Result is a very tight chain. Tire rotates by hand but is too tight too freely spin. The axle has little back and forth play in the frame slot. In the pic the axle is all the way forward. I cut another chain with one added link and the result was too loose even with the axle then being pulled all the way back. I am thinking some riding will stretch the chain slightly but wanted some feedback.
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 1.10.19 PM.png

I74

Half link is definitely the quickest & easiest fix.
Also,,
If you notice the chain getting loose & then tight, after adding the link, then I would look @ the B drive sprocket, to make sure that it is running true.
A lot of times on those when you tighten the set screws, it puts the sprocket out of true on the shaft, giving it high & low spots when rotated usually 180*
I use a pieces of aluminum adhesive heater duct tape, on the opposite sides of the set screws ,, taped to the shaft.
That helps ''a lot'' in centering the sprocket, especially when the sprocket & shaft fit is a bit loose . ;)
You will want to smooth the tape down real good on the shaft though, so the tape doesn't pull when sliding the sprocket over it.
I

Also,,
If you notice the chain getting loose & then tight, after adding the link, then I would look @ the B drive sprocket, to make sure that it is running true.
A lot of times on those when you tighten the set screws, it puts the sprocket out of true on the shaft, giving it high & low spots when rotated usually 180*
I use a pieces of aluminum adhesive heater duct tape, on the opposite sides of the set screws ,, taped to the shaft.
That helps ''a lot'' in centering the sprocket, especially when the sprocket & shaft fit is a bit loose . ;)
You will want to smooth the tape down real good on the shaft though, so the tape doesn't pull when sliding the sprocket over it.
I[/Q
Also,,
I
Actually the chain IS is tightening and loosening. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying remove the chain and reset the jack shaft sprocket by taping aluminum foil tape to the shaft where the sprocket goes. Smooth tape down in the key groove, then slide the sprocket back in place and tighten?

I74

Added,,
The screws don't have to be real tight, just snug.
The more you tighten them, the more potential you have in distorting the sprocket.
Just put a drop of loctite on the key, & a small drop on the screws.;)

Added,,
The screws don't have to be real tight, just snug.
The more you tighten them, the more potential you have in distorting the sprocket.
Just put a drop of loctite on the key, & a small drop on the screws.;)
The set screws are designed to stop the side-ways movement of a pulley/ sprocket, so not much force along the shaft to resist, just keeping the key from wandering.
Turn the whole drivetrain slowly with it off the ground, have a look, you can see a lot. Mark the high spots with a marker. I like the two types of Milwaukee brand markers.