New engine on a Murray Track 2

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about the old Murray mini bike that I've had for a good 7 years. I want to swamp out engines. I'm looking into the harbor freight predator engines (because thats all I can afford). I would like to put the 420cc engine on it but I doubt it will fit. Whats the biggest engine I can fit in it without messing with the frame too much? I have no problem putting the gas tank on top of the frame tube.

I have a Murray Track 2 and I installed a Briggs 6.5hp Intek and used a Honda gas tank that I made a mounting bracket for. Look up thread Murray Mock-up.

I have a stock Briggs 5hp sitting on mine. The airfilter hits the rear bar of the frame where it goes down. I have been consumed with my other bikes so I haven't done much real fitting of the engine. It may get the mounting slots elongated to slide it forward a bit.

buckeye

I did a quick search on this site. Put in engine for murray. You would be surprised at what you can find using this great feature OldMiniBikes provides. It kinda condenses everything in one area.
So see what ay think trying the search box at the top of the page.

Thank you all for your imput! I think I'm going for the preditor 6.5hp engine. I need to save my funds before I start to work on it though. I've already got higher handle bars on it. I saw on a lot of murrays that you guys took the plastic off around the seat. Is that for looks or is it more comfortable? Any other (cheap) mods you guys would suggest?

Big Jim

I have an old Greyhound on mine, header, hi-flow air filter, drilled jet and a TAV setup. Taller bars off of a BMX bicycle.
Fun little scoot.
Even with just a clone and a new clutch you won't be disappointed!

I see a torque converter on that mini. What exactly does it do? I hear people say it gives it more torque and I hear people say it gives it more speed. I'm so confused! And, I was thinking about putting BMX stunt pegs on it for the foot pegs. I have fairly large feet and the stock ones seem small. Does that sound like I good idea? Sorry for all of the stupid questions!

EricJ.

I have an old Greyhound on mine, header, hi-flow air filter, drilled jet and a TAV setup. Taller bars off of a BMX bicycle.
Fun little scoot.
Even with just a clone and a new clutch you won't be disappointed!
Just curious, I just got a torque converter and I have a Murry track 2 also, looks just like your mini bike. I seen that I need to get a riser plate under the motor. I was just going to use two pieces of 1inch squared tubing and the motor would be level. Any issues with your slanted motor mount plate? Just wondering if that affects the oil sump at all not being square? Thanks in advance.