new freight train braking idea.

joshua. c.

I had a new idea for additional braking on freight trains. most trains probably don't need it but I have heard of some horror stories about braking failures, so it got me thinking, what if you added sails to the sides or top of every freight car that were folded closed against the car and that can be deployed in an emergency much like parachutes on a drag car making the hole train very un-aerodynamic slowing it allot. Anything that can reduce stopping distance for a freight train could, in theory, save lives. There are probably allot of issues with this idea and maybe some better solutions, but I think the idea is interesting, so discuss.

In Japan they run bullet trains at 200+ mph every day, very safe and never any traffic crashes. There are no RR crossings, they go over or under the highways. They stop the trains likity-split with magnetic induction brake equipment. Something our defunct railroad system could never afford to upgrade to.

toomanytoys

In Japan they run bullet trains at 200+ mph every day, very safe and never any traffic crashes. There are no RR crossings, they go over or under the highways. They stop the trains likity-split with magnetic induction brake equipment. Something our defunct railroad system could never afford to upgrade to.
That is the entire problem with how trains were setup on the US. Of course when the initial tracks were developed and a lot of cities/areas population and cars weren't an issue. Crossing roads is where the accidents happen.

However it's a complete non-issue here in my area. Our train tracks were removed in the mid 90s.

joshua. c.

I don't know about your idea but send me some of what your smokin'.
. lol not smoking anything, I just an overly creative imagination and a good grasp on how things work. It really helps when I need to find the best solution to a problem, in the time it takes for most people to think of one or two solutions I already have 5 or 6 in mind to choose from.

this is not the first or the last crazy idea I will have.

. lol not smoking anything, I just an overly creative imagination and a good grasp on how things work. It really helps when I need to find the best solution to a problem, in the time it takes for most people to think of one or two solutions I already have 5 or 6 in mind to choose from.

this is not the first or the last crazy idea I will have.
In the time it takes you to think of 5 or 6 things I have allot more, like 8, already lined up. You need to up your game. There are some members on here that can do 12. Some might be able to do allot more but they're staying quiet. We have allot of discussions about things like this in the supporting members section.

bruces

I would think you are wasting your time ,generally speaking train brakes are very reliable ,it’s the sleeping ,drunk or stoned operators that fell asleep or just didn’t pay attention who cause the problems .Train brakes are just a big version of truck air brakes ,the brakes apply by a spring ,and it takes air to overcome the spring pressure if you want the train to move ,with literally dozens of wheels on a train ,even if there is some failures on individual wheels ,there is still plenty to slow the vehicle .Also ,those metal boxes (sheds) beside the tracks every few miles have sensors in them that check temperatures of the wheels as the train goes whistling by ,they will notify the mothership that there is a hot or cold wheel if something is amiss ,train systems are more advanced than you might think ,and for the most part it’s human error or stupidity that causes the issues .

pomfish

The smartest person in the room Never has to announce it and when you think you are it, Heaven help you.
I'm not the Bill Gates but not the Brutus either.

You mentioned brake failures, so there are no brakes at that point.
Your flap idea has many problems, Ice, Debris, Space needed, Low overpasses and just generally the time/distance that flaps/wind resistance would need in an Emergency.
How are these flaps powered? Lithium batteries on each car, controlled by satellite connection, What?
We don't want to slow the train, We need it to Stop it and NOW.

What are the other 5-6 solutions?
It's all good.

Peace out,
Keith

olddog

In front of every seat there should be a trap door. In case of emergency the passengers could make like the Flintstones.
This would also be a great source of clean power, or perhaps if power was lost to the train.

Freight trains would require heavily muscled legs as there aren't passengers...

Last edited:

olddog

In front of every seat there should be a trap door. In case of emergency the passengers could make like the Flintstones.
This would also be a great source of clean power, or perhaps if power was lost to the train.

Freight trains would require heavily muscled legs as there aren't any passengers...