New guy here with I.D. needed on a couple of frames.

HeathC

Hello everyone! I've got a couple of mini bikes that i unearthed and would like to see if anyone knows what they are. I've done a fair amount of searching on here, but haven't com Resized_20190418_212812(1).jpeg Resized_20190418_212901(1).jpeg Resized_20190418_212812(1).jpeg e up with anything on the blue frame. I think the green one may be a Bird, or maybe a Sears? Sorry for the crummy pics, but that's all i have for now. Thanks for the help! I hope to get these things up and going and back to their former glory again! Resized_20190418_212901(1).jpeg Resized_20190418_212901(1).jpeg

HeathC

Top picture is a Sears Roper. Bottom is a Bird Duck or a Sears Drover (depending on year, tubing diameter, etc)
Wow! That was quick! Thanks! What are the differences between the Duck and the Drover? Do you know the tubing dimensions of each? I assume these were both made in the 70's .

capguncowboy

Looking at the engine it's 70s, so you can go by the diameter of the tubing. If it's 7/8", it's a Bird. If it's 1", it's a Sears (both made by Bird)

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's a link from member CFH showing the two different models of the Hustler that came in blue http://pinrepair.com/minibikes/huffy_hustler_cat.pdf , yours appears to be a H0750 like the picture Markus sent you because it looks like your forks were originally chrome and it has rear shocks. Both are really nice bikes but the Hustler is my favorite between the two. Here's what I know about the Hustler, it used Ruttman 6" mag wheels and 5" Bendix internal expanding brake. I am not sure if the Ruttman brake is exactly the same due to where the nut is welded to the backing plate but it will most likely work. You can use Lil Indian 6" mag wheels as they are dimensionally the same just aesthetically different. Allied Leisure has the Ruttman 5" internal expanding brake for $59.95 for the complete assembly https://www.alliedleisurecorp.com/I...oductId=-420410&shopBy=-12310&catalogId=-3369 , the wheels aren't really hard to find but can get pricey. From what I've read, the seat, clutch cover and fenders are nearly impossible to find let alone chrome fenders and clutch cover, those will probably have to be reproduced. Good luck with the build, hopefully we'll see two more classics back in action!.

Here's a link from member CFH showing the two different models of the Hustler that came in blue http://pinrepair.com/minibikes/huffy_hustler_cat.pdf , yours appears to be a H0750 like the picture Markus sent you because it looks like your forks were originally chrome and it has rear shocks. Both are really nice bikes but the Hustler is my favorite between the two. Here's what I know about the Hustler, it used Ruttman 6" mag wheels and 5" Bendix internal expanding brake. I am not sure if the Ruttman brake is exactly the same due to where the nut is welded to the backing plate but it will most likely work. You can use Lil Indian 6" mag wheels as they are dimensionally the same just aesthetically different. Allied Leisure has the Ruttman 5" internal expanding brake for $59.95 for the complete assembly https://www.alliedleisurecorp.com/I...oductId=-420410&shopBy=-12310&catalogId=-3369 , the wheels aren't really hard to find
but can get pricey. From what I've read, the seat, clutch cover and fenders are nearly impossible to find let alone chrome fenders and clutch cover, those will probably have to be reproduced. Good luck with the build, hopefully we'll see two more classics back in action!.

Thanks for that info!!

Here's a link from member CFH showing the two different models of the Hustler that came in blue http://pinrepair.com/minibikes/huffy_hustler_cat.pdf , yours appears to be a H0750 like the picture Markus sent you because it looks like your forks were originally chrome and it has rear shocks. Both are really nice bikes but the Hustler is my favorite between the two. Here's what I know about the Hustler, it used Ruttman 6" mag wheels and 5" Bendix internal expanding brake. I am not sure if the Ruttman brake is exactly the same due to where the nut is welded to the backing plate but it will most likely work. You can use Lil Indian 6" mag wheels as they are dimensionally the same just aesthetically different. Allied Leisure has the Ruttman 5" internal expanding brake for $59.95 for the complete assembly https://www.alliedleisurecorp.com/I...oductId=-420410&shopBy=-12310&catalogId=-3369 , the wheels aren't really hard to find but can get pricey. From what I've read, the seat, clutch cover and fenders are nearly impossible to find let alone chrome fenders and clutch cover, those will probably have to be reproduced. Good luck with the build, hopefully we'll see two more classics back in action!.
Do those forks come apart? if so, do you know how they come apart? i'd love to be able to pull them all apart and get them cleaned up and/or rechromed.

Yes, the forks do come apart, once the front wheel is removed, take a small towel and wrap it around the spring and twist them. The springs just thread into the cups, as long as they haven't rusted to the spring cups, it shouldn't be too hard. The seat and clutch cover are going to be your biggest hurdle, there's enough fender variety out there so you should be able to find something to work.

Yes, the forks do come apart, once the front wheel is removed, take a small towel and wrap it around the spring and twist them. The springs just thread into the cups, as long as they haven't rusted to the spring cups, it shouldn't be too hard. The seat and clutch cover are going to be your biggest hurdle, there's enough fender variety out there so you should be able to find something to work.
Thanks! I'm sure they're probably rusted in there at least a little bit. Time to break out the PB Blaster!

Got the Huffman stripped down the other day. The pic is before i started. I need to chop off the welded nut and rod sticking out of the left side of the frame, and get it smoothed out, then it's off to sand blasting. i have the fork sitting upside down soaking in PB Blaster so i can try to get it taken apart. I believe there's a good chrome guy here in town, that i can get the front end chromed by.

Attachments

Stumbled across some more info about the green frame. Looks like it may be either a Sears Puncher or Bird Falcon, because of the front suspension. Do the same things hold true for the tubing diameter being 7/8" (Bird) vs. 1" (Sears)? If anyone is holding, i could use the complete brake mechanism for that one, also.

Attachments

Having a hard time figuring out exactly what that green one is. The seat mount tabs are like the ones on the yellow and the red bike, but the fork is like the one on the blue bike. I think i've narrowed it down to Bird (probably Falcon) because of the seat mount tabs, but i don't know what model. All of the Sears Punchers I've seen have a completely different front seat mount.

Attachments