New guy here

First off, hi. I’m a noob. This is my first build like this. I’ve worked on Chinese scooters, Chinese engine kits, mopeds and an old Sears 50cc motorcycle. I had an idea after being constantly annoyed by my latest motorized bicycle build - I saw some kid was selling an old Kawasaki frame with a Subaru ex21 efi engine and I figured I’d take it off his hands. 200 bucks later I had it in my garage.
It’s not a mini bike but more like a motorcycle I won’t have to shift.

I’m not done with the project yet and I was wondering what kind of speed I can expect. Some have told me it won’t go over 30. When my fat tucchas gets on it I’m afraid it will crawl.
Should I sell the Subaru and get a predator? Can I get by with the Subaru? Are there crossover parts between the 2? I have a torque converter for it and I’ve removed the governor (super easy on the ex21...took me maybe 5 minutes to remove the gear). I heard the ex21 could implode on itself if I push it too hard.
Lots of annoying noob questions, I know. I apologize in advance if these have been discussed before.
Anyhoo, I’m looking forward to get this project up and moving.

Attachments

DaddyJohn

You'll need that torque converter with those big wheels.
You'll also want to get a bigger drive sprocket, though can't to tell you exactly how big.

While I’ve got you all here, what options do I have for a pipe? I really don’t like that lawnmower muffler. I can hack and weld if needed

nightgrider

I'm not sure about pipe options for a Subaru. But there are a lot of headers/pipes for Honda clones online. I've got a predator 212 and I was just going to weld up a custom pipe.

nightgrider

Can I use flex tube? I’m bad at geometry
I've seen a few with a flex tube. It's all up to your personal preference. On mine I was going to cut the stock muffler off, keep the stock flange,and weld on some tube. I found a cheap geriatric toilet seat (of all things) at goodwill. But the tubing has some bends that are near perfect for the exhaust. The whole thing cost me $5 and I can always use the tube for various projects.

I've seen a few with a flex tube. It's all up to your personal preference. On mine I was going to cut the stock muffler off, keep the stock flange,and weld on some tube. I found a cheap geriatric toilet seat (of all things) at goodwill. But the tubing has some bends that are near perfect for the exhaust. The whole thing cost me $5 and I can always use the tube for various projects.
Was it aluminum? I had an idea of using conduit and an old steel beer can for a muffler since this is a rat bike

nightgrider

Was it aluminum? I had an idea of using conduit and an old steel beer can for a muffler since this is a rat bike
I believe it is steel. I haven't cut it up and welded it yet. But it looked like thin wall steel tubing to me I'll throw a magnet on it before I go too far with it. I've seen people use metal conduit, just be sure to remove the galvanized finish before welding.

nightgrider

I also cut up an old picnic table leg to use for the pipe as well. I haven't welded up an exhaust pipe yet, because on my project I'm going to try to get a TAV working on my frame. So until then I'm not sure how much length I'll need for the overall exhaust.

20200505_151919.jpg 20200505_152836.jpg 20200505_152845.jpg