New guy hunting an old tiger

When I was a young boy in the mid 80's, my Dad pulled out his Muskin HPE Cat 300 XL from my grandfathers garage. He took it to work and got it running for me. I can't tell you how many hours I spent on that old cat. Some of my best memories of my childhood were on that bike. Sometime after I became a teenager and I had graduated to a full size dirt bike and the Cat disappeared. I'm sure my dad probably sold it or traded it, but I don't know. Unfortunately I can't ask him whatever happened to it as he passed away about 17 years ago. The only thing I have left of the mini bike are the memories, a fender and the chain guard which I saved after all these years. Fast forword to today, I'm now 35 with two young boys of my own. The chain guard and the fender are hanging in my garage displayed proudly but everytime I look at them I'm reminded of my youth. Now I'm on the hunt for another Cat (or the same one, Pueblo, Colorado isn't that big of a town). My boys are getting to an age where I can start teaching them how to ride and I can't wait. We have a newer mini chopper but it needs some work and its just not the same as a vintage mini bike. Anyway I've been searching the local newspapers, garage sales, and the internet and I stumbled upon this website and thought this looks like a great resource and possibly a place I can find one for sale.

So that's my story, thanks for taking the time to read it and I look forward to posting with you in the future..

george3

Well you got a start. plenty of these bikes are missing the parts you have. cat mini bikes are nor so rare. You should fine one with not too much prob. and slap your memorys on it. Chain guard and fenders, and it will be as you always had it.

I have those same memories only for a '66 Superflea. Missed out on one back east but I will keep looking. BTW my stepdad and Mom had moved to Raton, NM in their retirement. He grew up there and the adobe corner posts of his old house were still there. They have both since passed but I have GOOD memories of that area.

Fred

Here is some brochure pictures for you to bring back some good times.
CAT MINIBIKE ADS (HPE MUSKIN)
Thanks for the link, I was able to see the exact model. It looks like it was a 1972 model.

Well you got a start. plenty of these bikes are missing the parts you have. cat mini bikes are nor so rare. You should fine one with not too much prob. and slap your memorys on it. Chain guard and fenders, and it will be as you always had it.
Glad to hear that Cats are not too rare, Hopefully I will find one. Thanks!

I have those same memories only for a '66 Superflea. Missed out on one back east but I will keep looking. BTW my stepdad and Mom had moved to Raton, NM in their retirement. He grew up there and the adobe corner posts of his old house were still there. They have both since passed but I have GOOD memories of that area.

Fred
Hope your hunt for a Superflea is successful. Raton is not too far from here we used to visit family there when I was a kid.