New guy with a Boonie project.

Hey everyone, my name is Blaine. I had a couple mini bikes as a kid and spent a good part of my childhood wrenching on or riding them. I have been wanting to get back into it for a while now that I have a son of my own. So when I saw a Boonie on the side of the road a few weeks ago with a for sale sign on it, I decided to get it. There was no clutch cover, the seat is not original, there was no 2 speed shifter and the throttle and choke linkages were all jacked up, so I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself in to. The frame was in good shape though, and the tires looked almost new. It also had the 5 hp B&S which I had some experience with. To be honest, I didn’t know what it was when I bought it, but I figured it out once I got on this website and did a bit of research.

Anyways, I got it running and started to realize what I had. Someone had replaced the original B&S with another, and it must have been off some piece of yard equipment because there was no keyway on the shaft for the clutch to grab on to. I’m sure they just threw that thing on there to sell it and make it look ready to go. The clutch only had one sprocket and it had a chain running to the larger sprocket on the original 2 speed Boonie Jackshaft. Speaking of the jackshaft, someone really messed it up by welding the sprockets in place, and welding over the small sprocket to hold the larger one in place:eek:ut:. I’ll probably have to cut it if I want it off.

Once I realized what I was dealing with, I ordered a 6.5 Predator from HF and it should be here any day. I plan on hooking it up to get it going for now, but I am assuming I won’t get much speed out of it using the low gear from the Boonie.

I’m not sure what I want to do about the jackshaft. Would I be better off replacing it, or going with a TAV? If I go with a TAV, I know I have to flip the back tire around, but how much fabrication will I need to do to get this to work? I’m okay with getting an engine running, but when it comes to the TAV and jackshaft replacement, I have very little knowledge. Any advice is appreciated!

BTW, I paid $100 for the bike & photos coming.

Thanks for the welcome, I will be posting an update once the engine arrives.

And yes, I know I won't stop with one. If I remember correctly, there is an old Arctic Cat sitting in my grandma's barn that I might have to look into.

The engine finally arrived this morning, and it couldn't have been any more simple to put that thing on and go. I took it for a spin around the block and it's really slow. I'm thinking about ordering the adjustable 5/8" jackshaft and sprockets from OldMiniBikes to get some more speed out of it. I'm also going to be getting a new seat and painting it at some point. Ohh and brakes too. Here are a few pics.

boonie pred.JPG
boonie 2.JPG
pred throttle.JPG

I included the throttle cable attachment pic because that was the one thing I was concerned about, and it was so simple. The setup is perfect, and the engine started on the 1st pull. It sure is quiet.

Yeah your gonna have to do something with that jack shaft. Good job on getting it going again. Yeah don't forget the brakes. My Boonie brake aren't hooked up yet so I won't take it for a spin.

it may not be going faster cuz it looks like the throttle limiter screw (?) is dialed in pretty far. if you back that out a bit, it should open that engine right up. be sure to break the engine in first before you go tearing around town. of course do the break in only if you come from the school of thought that believes in the break in stage.

I pulled the trigger on the adjustable jackshaft through OldMiniBikes. While I wait for it to arrive, I'm going to tear the drum break off the back and see if I can get it working. When I wiggle the arm, it seems to be very loose inside, but it does seem to engage. When I get the brake figured out I'll post some pics, and of course when the jackshaft arrives. BTW apekillman, thanks for pointing out that the limiter screw is dialed in pretty far. Once I get the new jackshaft installed, I will mess with it and let you know what happens.

While I'm waiting for this jackshaft to arrive, I decided to add a return spring to the throttle, it seems to stick a bit right before the clutch can disengage. While I was working on this, I realized my throttle cable has slipped out of the twist grip. I'm kind of at a loss as what to do, I tried wrapping a bit of electrical tape around the end to snug it up, but that didn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have a photo attached of where the cable is coming out.

throttle cable.JPG