New Harbor Freight 6.5 What's the deal?

fonz

Called HF today and my store didn't have the 96549 engine. They did have a new version with an "L" shaped gas tank and an over-sized air filter #66015. It seems I saw a pic somewhere on this forum of the newer engine.
Anyone have any input on the newer engine? Is it as good as the older one and still made by Lifan? Also the size. Same height and bolt hole pattern?
It's on sale now at $130 bucks. Regular price $160
Looks like the recoil start may be facing the front too.
My thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Motra

I got the newer one and it seems to me that it's as good as the older ones. It is a Lifan. I think they made some changes because of increasing pressure from Honda for copyright infringement. Besides the obvious changes the, valve cover design is different (another bolt added) and the block is different where the gas tank mounts to it, aside from this I think they're the the same. (I heard somewhere that the cam design is actually better than the old ones but I don't know this for sure, just passing on the rumor.) They do have the same bolt pattern and everything, the only thing that might have changed a tiny bit is the height.

I just built a green mini with the "new" HF engine

The gas cap is under the frame but you can still get at it no problem. Check out the pics

The engine on this bike has a 3/8" thick engine mount plate

These engines amaze me......1-2 pulls everytime and they run perfect right out of the box

I think think it looks better on the outside than the old style, that is if you dont install aftermarket filter and exhaust, the metal gas cap looks better than a plastic one tho, my clone has a real red honda shroud so I can sell it an buy 3 clones, just kidding i wanna see how much abuse it will take before its no longer fixable.

Motra

Keep it maintained decently and it'll probably take as much abuse you can dish out. And it's always fixable.