New here, right forum??

My 12 year old was just gifted rhis minibuke, and the spare motor he gave us is a Briggs and Stratton. I know nothing about mini bikes and am going to need some guidance on how to hook up throttle, kill switch, which clutch...basically everything! Here are some pics, the sticker is pretty faded so its hard to tell the model number. 20211124_184410.jpg 20211127_233157.jpg 20211128_194053.jpg 20211128_194059.jpg 20211128_194102.jpg

Lizardking

This is the right section for any questions regarding Briggs and Stratton engines.

Mini bike discussion section for anything else you want to ask.

Usually a good carb cleaning will get the black Briggs running and idling. Throttle linkage will have to be changed.

Last edited:
I have the old engine out and plan on going forward with the newer Briggs. I stopped by the local powersports store on the way home, and he said it would be really hard to find mini bike parts for that motor. He recommended if i couldnt fabricate myself, i would be better off starting with a predator motor since parts are everywhere. Im trying to do this on a budget, so I am going to try to make this one work. Is the old engine worth keeping around and trying to rebuild? Im guessing parts are really scarce for that thing.

mustangfrank

I have the old engine out and plan on going forward with the newer Briggs. I stopped by the local powersports store on the way home, and he said it would be really hard to find mini bike parts for that motor. He recommended if i couldnt fabricate myself, i would be better off starting with a predator motor since parts are everywhere. Im trying to do this on a budget, so I am going to try to make this one work. Is the old engine worth keeping around and trying to rebuild? Im guessing parts are really scarce for that thing.
I just picked up a minibike that had an OHV B&S engine on it, the PO left the factory throttle assy on there, fabbed up a metal bracket to hold the cable/nut/ferrule and drilled a hole in the arm to hook to. Tank was remote mounted so that might be an issue with yours if you're leaving it on there for cable routing. It was crude but actually works well and still utilizes the governor.

I'm no expert on these but the throttle assy looks just like the Predator/clone stuff, if nothing else that stuff could be easily adapted.

Triley41395

My 12 year old was just gifted rhis minibuke, and the spare motor he gave us is a Briggs and Stratton. I know nothing about mini bikes and am going to need some guidance on how to hook up throttle, kill switch, which clutch...basically everything! Here are some pics, the sticker is pretty faded so its hard to tell the model number.
I'm pretty new at this but I'm thinking that the throttle you have on there can be made to work, if it were in front of me I would be more help. As for the clutch get one that is the right shaft size and since it is for a kid make sure that it can be installed with the sprocket towards the engine because it would be safer unless you have a clutch/chain guard then either way is OK. As far as a kill switch there is a red switch on the engine in the picture which looks like a kill switch. If the little golf tee looking thing in front of the seat is a switch you might be able to wire it to the kill switch on the engine. Unless the brake cables are in great shape I would suggest changing them also. As I said I am still pretty new at mini's myself but I hope something I said will be helpful.

I'm pretty new at this but I'm thinking that the throttle you have on there can be made to work, if it were in front of me I would be more help. As for the clutch get one that is the right shaft size and since it is for a kid make sure that it can be installed with the sprocket towards the engine because it would be safer unless you have a clutch/chain guard then either way is OK. As far as a kill switch there is a red switch on the engine in the picture which looks like a kill switch. If the little golf tee looking thing in front of the seat is a switch you might be able to wire it to the kill switch on the engine. Unless the brake cables are in great shape I would suggest changing them also. As I said I am still pretty new at mini's myself but I hope something I said will be helpful.
Lots of good info there, thanks. That is the choke you see on the bike. Pretty funny because that is where it is on my 82 Harley too!

I would suggest that you keep the old Briggs and check ebay for the parts you need. Those parts you may need can usually be found on ebay for a reasonable price.

Harquebus

Does the old Briggs engine turn over and does it have compression? Highly doubtful that it is worn out and if need be you can do a valve adjustment, de-carbon the cylinder head, clean the carb and get it on its way.

Pretty cool that it's a 2 HP; that's pretty rare on the used engine market. You definitely need a blower cover for it that also contains the recoil starter mechanism. Or do you have that part?

Does the old Briggs engine turn over and does it have compression? Highly doubtful that it is worn out and if need be you can do a valve adjustment, de-carbon the cylinder head, clean the carb and get it on its way.

Pretty cool that it's a 2 HP; that's pretty rare on the used engine market.
Maybe in TN where you live, but not here in CA. They are for sale all over the place and cheap. This was the most popular engine on lawn mowers and edgers for many years and they get pulled off the equipment and sold on eBay, Craig's List, and Offerup all of the time. In my opinion a 2Hp engine is inadequate for "adult sized" riders.
Michael

Last edited:
Change of plans! The newer Briggs I had runs rough, spits oil and is smoking pretty bad. The guy i got the bike from is coming through with this 5hp Briggs he said runs fine. $50 plus the newer engine that doesn't run right... I'm pretty excited for the older engine, a few chats with mustangfrank reminded me an older "period correct" motor will be way cooler than a new chinese one I was thinking about (because it would be easy).

Attachments