New hobby

BigV

Yo fellas,

I am new to this mini bike hobby, I recently just retired from the military and somehow stumbled on to the mini bike scene. I am in the process of ordering parts to build a mini bike and was in need of some advice. I need a bike that can withstand a 275lb man, any advice on all parts needed to get started will be very much appreciative.Btw, I love all the photo's of all your bikes. I can't wait to get started.

Thanks Big V

Welcome BigV your not the only big block on here lol
A full suspension bike sure feels better and a pred 212 clone has more than enough power.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness. Go for a large bike like the Baja Warrior, Manco Big Cat. They will do great for you. What did you do in the Military-which branch. I'm retired Navy.

Welcome ! My advice would be to run with a TAV. The infinite ratio of these belt to chain drives create a lot of low end torque and plenty of top-end speed. They are what most mini's have that are used for off roading & almost all large tire go-karts use them also. There cost runs about the same as you would spend on a H.D. centrifical clutch.
Best of luck on this build,,,you'll find tons of advice here

:scooter:

BigV

Thank you all. I retired from the Army. I have only 2 tours to Afghanistan, well 19 months total deployed. As for job (mos) I was a 63B/91B-H8 (Light wheel diesel mechanic and vehicle recovery) Unit: 1st Battalion 32nd Lt.Inf 3BCT 10TH Mountain Div. I was forced into early retirement by getting injured and now I want to build toy for me and my kids.

BigV

I was thinking about buying a complete mini bike set and modifying it. I am not sure which tires to get though and what rims will go with them. I am leaning toward a wide tire but im not seeing rims to go with them from OldMiniBikes. If ya'll could, help me out that would be great.

Thanks Big V

hey from norcal {foothills}new-b here too.lots of good people here & vast knowledge. i was army too. 69-71. 3rd med batt. 3rd inf. div.

you might try looking at the trail scooters. Tote gote, tule trooper etc. They can carry deer out with you lol. No matter which kind you end up with this is the place to lookup info or ask the membership. nice people

BigV

Thanks

Thanks for the post guys. I really want to build me own mini bike, but I wasn't sure if I get a DB it would haul a 6 foot 280lb man around. I am going to buy the DB kit with 8" tires and put a predator engine, jack shaft, and a TAV on it for starters. I' will see how that goes. Then i'll make adjustments from there. If it could haul me around , then I know my kids would have a blast on it as well. Although I do like those mini choppers and wouldn't mind getting one of them as well. Man I wish I still lived in Silverdale, WA. I would have bought 2 of those bikes....

Thanks Again,
Big V

Welcome Big V, keep looking at Craigslist in your area and find you something that you can build to your liking.This is the best mini bike site there is,have fun with whatever you choose.:thumbsup:

BigV

Yo My friends,

Finally picked up my Predator 212 today! I am researching parts I need to begin my project.
I am thinking about getting a clutch and a jack shaft but stumped on which 1 to use for better performance. I am not sure which 1 to get. There's so many to choose from..Could anybody tell me which size clutch and sprockets to get please. Not sure which chain to use and as for the sprockets, I am not sure about the teeth count either.:shrug:

Welcome BigV and thanks for your service!

As a fellow big man (6 ft. and an easy 250lbs) IMHO your two best upgrades are a pred 212 :thumbsup: and a TAV. They will haul you around with lots of low end torque and give you surprising top end, thats with the pred212 bone stock. The best part is you can (with little effort) take them off one bike and put them on another! With the TAV you just need to get a #35 or #40/#41 kit depending on your bikes rear sprocket. That's all you would need to know to get started.

If you are like most of us around here, you will have several bikes before you know it!

Last edited:

BigV

Thanks my Friend.
I am purchasing an Azusa kit with 5" wheels and a TAV w/#41 chain. I am not to sure what the difference is with the #41 chain and #35 chain. But the TAV I am getting is for a #41. What will I need to change to make it work on my Azusa mini bike my friend? If you could send me a message with details on what to do, I will greatly appreciate it. I am getting that TAV because the price is cheaper than the one for #35 chain.

Thanks
BigV

I do what I do for the people of this great country! To Hell and back, combat wounded and retired!

I think the Azura 5inch kit comes with a #35 sprocket and so you would need the TAV w/ #35 drive sprocket. OldMiniBikes.com (link is at the top of the page) has both TAV kits for the same price. Google "#35 and #40 chain" and the first couple links will tell you the difference in chains (it's the size) The TAV uses a belt but you would have to match the TAV drive sprocket size to the driven sprocket on the wheel. So...

this kit, if it is the one you are refering to:
http://OldMiniBikes.com/Mini-Bike-Kit-with-5-Wheels.html

would need this TAV:
http://OldMiniBikes.com/TAV2-1-Drive-12T-35-C218352A.html

and the 3/4 shaft would fit the predator you just got.

Last edited:
Welcome BigV...some quick chain info:

The first number 2, 3, 4 ...actually represents the number of "eighths" in the chain/sprocket pitch (spacing):

20 series chain = 2/8 (1/4"), 30 series chain = 3/8, ..... 40 series chain = 4/8 (1/2")..etc.

The 2nd digit indicates the style of chain....std duty., light duty(thin side plates), heavy duty, true roller, etc....)

Good luck with the project and thanks for your service.