New member with a 1976(?) Nighthawk

I am new to this page and to the mini bike family. I just purchased a 1976 Bird Nighthawk with a Tecumseh motor that I'm going to attempt to restore. It's a running/riding mini that has issues. While running it yesterday and trying to get the throttle calmed down, it started spitting oil out of the breather tube? Any ideas? Suggestions? I appreciate the help. 20201003_135007.jpg

chrisr

What causes this and how do I fix it? I'm very new to all this but willing to get after it...
Assuming clean 30w oil and the engine is not overfilled for oil, if its still happening, compression can get past the oil rings causing oil to come out the breather tube.

chrisr

With the engine flat, there is a fill whole near the bottom/side of the engine (side near PTO), oil should be just up to the screw hole threads so when you put the plug in it does not make the oil come out. Some may say to the edge of the plug threads.

old shed finds

First thing I notice is the breather has been pulled off and polished? They have a reed valve or check valve that may not be making a seal....I bet that is the fault..... And like the bike...my forks were mashed in too but had to work them loose and keep lubed at all times....

Attachments

With the engine flat, there is a fill whole near the bottom/side of the engine (side near PTO), oil should be just up to the screw hole threads so when you put the plug in it does not make the oil come out. Some may say to the edge of the plug threads.
Thanks I appreciate it.

First thing I notice is the breather has been pulled off and polished? They have a reed valve or check valve that may not be making a seal....I bet that is the fault..... And like the bike...my forks were mashed in too but had to work them loose and keep lubed at all times....
Thanks for the info, I'll take it off and check the gasket before I change the oil. Do you happen to know where I can order tires for mine, just wondering since you have one too?