New mini bike/scooter project

I'll mostly let the pics do the talking. Front tire says "Made in Italy". I'm supposed to be getting the rear tire but didn't get it yet.
Not sure if mini bike or scooter by the frame not having a top bar and open footwell in front of the engine. The seat post is throwing me for a loop also. My buddy Jonny said it probably had a Banana Seat like the old school pedal bikes. 20220529_130902.jpg 20220529_130914.jpg 20220529_130922.jpg
Any info is appreciated

I74

On a serious note:,,

No offence but,,
Are you sure you even want to mess with that,, being all hacked & wacked ect. ect. ??
I sure wouldn't.

I am not a "make it original guy".
I am a "make it run and let the nephews and grandson enjoy it guy".
As far as the seat post I am just trying to figure out what it is, so I can look up pictures of it originally.
I really am surprised it has everyone here stumped on what it used to be. I have been surprised by most threads in the "what is it?" forum on how quick most frames are identified. I was kinda hoping I found some super ultra rare hoopty with some value to it. I guess I didn't.
So the short answer is yes, I'll put time and a few $s into making it a driver. I won't spend anywhere near a new Mini price. Even a new engine will go on another project if this one doesn't work out, or we get tired of messing with it.

First day off. I decided to do another once over for a tag or name. I found one right where it should be, DOH...
The number stamped in is 703186.
Not sure which method to start with on removing paint. Razor knife/scraper or paint stripper/chemicals.
And a couple of the CICLOMOTORE Tyre 20220604_085353.jpg 20220604_085744.jpg 20220604_085753.jpg 20220604_085758.jpg 20220604_085802.jpg 20220604_090222.jpg

So the paint scraping wasn't going very well. I was afraid I would remove whatever was on the tag. I got out some brake cleaner and it dissolved the black and most of the red paint. Underneath I found the remains of a tag for "SOLO Kleinmotoren " I googled that and think mine came out in the early/mid 70s as an electric moped. Of course my seat post is nor original.

I74

And another..
Looks like it was 2 - 12v car batts. probably in series,, to make 24v.
What they did with your seat frame post ect. though ! :eek:
thumb5_cc7994ca-db7a-4a62-bb90-d5d86dda5158.jpg

Last edited:
So my guess is they took the pedals off of the MOPED/SCOOTER when they added the gas engine. Then there no where to put you feet so they did the foot pegs on the front. Then you couldn't reach them from the seat, over the engine. So they cobbled up the seat post so you could reach the foot rests. At least that's my best theory.
I will post updates once I start working on this one. It will probably be a while

I74

Going over the above add description ''which I think is in German'',, looks like some of the electrical components were ''Bosch''.
Good quality ''top shelf'' stuff there. ;)

Me being mostly an electric Guy, I would put it back to electric, with a 48v 2000w ''brushless'' setup & Li batteries,, like my misc. builds on here.
Think it would rip pretty good, especially with getting rid of the ''boat anchor'' LA batts.,, & installing light weight Li packs.

Just need to get that cobbled mess back where it's supposed to be, & mount the motor back where it was originally supposed to live.

Next you could get a finished bore pully for the motor shaft, & run a primary belt again & chain for the final.

Might be tough finding a back wheel set up for it though.

My added 2 cents.

I

Last edited:
It's getting a gas engine.
I am NOT an electric vehicle kinda guy.
My buddy did drop off the original rear wheel/tire. That makes it a little better. After I uncobble the seat, it should be a useable scooter.
Not sure if I should call it a mini bike or stick with calling it a scooter. 20220607_162618.jpg

Attachments