New Motovox MBX10 build...

Daniel Coop

Nice job:thumbsup:..i like those style frames .those v tread tires seem to be pretty streetable..had em on mmb80
These treads are very streetable... They grip well and ride smooth. I like them because they're a nice in-between. They do well on dirt or asphalt.

Daniel Coop

*HOW TO; MAKE A DOODYBUG SPROCKET ADAPTER FIT A MOTOVOX WHEEL*
I mentioned while building my daughter's Build-Off Motovox, how the DB sprocket adapters do not fit the larger wheel flange on the Motovox wheel. On that bike, I just used a spare DB wheel, but I'm all out of rear DB wheels...

Damn bench vice has gotta be one of the handiest tools in the shop. I use a spare axle and spacer in the vice to do my tire changes and that same setup comes in handy for this also.

Another one of my favorite and most used tools, an angle grinder and various surfacing/grinding attachments. This time a small carbide bit.

I just spin the wheel in the axle opposite direction of how my die grinder is spinning and shave off the outside of the wheel flange. Might be crude, but works well for those of us who don't have our own lathes.

I'm always careful not to shave too much. It's better that the sprocket adapter fits a little snug rather than loose.

Perfect fit...

Now the rear wheel is on for good, shouldn't be any reason for it to come off again. I used a 57t split sprocket that I just happened to have laying around. I also installed a longer Doodlebug throttle control and tube to fit new red ODI half waffle grips. The Motovox throttle tube is too short and standard size grips are too long for them.
Now that all this BS race business is over I can get back to doing what I love doing best... Building bikes

I just got over reading your Motovox build thread. Nice job...the bike came out sweet. I dig the Doodlebug fenders on there compared to the crappy MV plastic fenders. They give the bike a nice old school appearance. I like the paint scheme as well.

Daniel Coop

I just got over reading your Motovox build thread. Nice job...the bike came out sweet. I dig the Doodlebug fenders on there compared to the crappy MV plastic fenders. They give the bike a nice old school appearance. I like the paint scheme as well.
Thanks bro, but I'm not done yet... Still have the fun part to attend to, the engine.

This bike will be getting an old non-running, non Hemi Predator rebuilt with the milled and ported 5 bolt Grayhound clone head from the Grayhound I blew up. The head was drilled out to fit the larger dowel pins in the non Hemi block and the 22lb springs were replaced with new ones. I'm re-using the stock piston but with new rings and a new .020 over ARC billet connecting rod, ARC flywheel and Dyno Cams CL220 cheater cam.
The block I determined to be no good. Water had sat in the cylinder and rusted, causing some pitting in the cylinder walls that wasn't going to clean up with a hone,
so I ordered a brand new non Hemi block from eBay and also have a big bore Kohler (clone) carb on the way from my dude Dan at Childish Concepts

Dan,
Where did you find your hydraulic brake caliper from? I have a few, but they're the opposite bolt pattern for a DB...still the 2" bolt spread.
I also have an MBX10 with a mild (governed) Predator Hemi.
I'll continue to follow your build thread. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Jack

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Dan,
Where did you find your hydraulic brake caliper from? I have a few, but they're the opposite bolt pattern for a DB...still the 2" bolt spread.
I also have an MBX10 with a mild (governed) Predator Hemi.
I'll continue to follow your build thread. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Jack

That is an X7 super pocket bike rear hydraulic caliper. You used to be able to find them no problem on eBay, but they seem to have gone the way of the Do-do bird, just like the MBX11 front suspension forks... I don't understand why there's an obvious demand for these parts, but nobody will​ manufacturer them. Hello China!? Lol!

Thanks Dan.
You would think they'd keep substantial stock of these things. I'm sure there's still a shitload of them in China...they just haven't made their way here yet. :shrug:
I have the master cylinder/ brake lever...just waiting for the right caliper.

Yeah, the MBX11 front forks have become extinct.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Let me buy this bike bro! I'm feelin it man. You know I got trades too!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes
Depends on your​ offer, and funny that you should mention that, because this one will be for sale. I want to test the waters with a higher end fully built and complete mini bike for sale... Even though it is just a Chinese mini. It was rebuilt and customized right here in the good old USA with a bunch of quality American made performance parts in it's engine. Only see junk for sale locally.
My "Junkyard Dog" motor is now complete. I need to get a new stock gas tank for it still. I spilled fuel all over my freshly painted recoil housing and need to re-shoot the silver, but she's done and a good runner. It's a bastard hodge podge of parts that seem to be quite happy together.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Well!... This project just got fast tracked! Turns out, there is a market for higher end mini bikes here in Denver. While on a quick run to the convenience store on my "Po' White​ Trash" DB, I was approached by a gentleman and his son, who were generally stoked and excited...The guy was trying to buy the bike out from under me on the spot, but I turned it down without hesitation. I love that bike. He wanted me to put a price on it, but I couldn't on the spot and didn't want to. Knowing I lost count on how much I had spent on that bike after the first engine and $1,000. I explained that I build them, and after chatting a few minutes and showing him a few pics of this Motovox, we agreed to a price of $900. He gave me a $300 deposit, and said he hoped to pick it up next weekend, so I need to get busy!

I won't even get a chance to enjoy this one at all, but I can dry my tears with Benjamin's. Lol
I like my new 212/clone head hybrid
too much to let it go with the bike and since this bike will be for him and his inexperienced 10yr old son to share, I will be sticking in my Box Stock Clone Project motor, with flat top piston, BSP3 cam and PVL aluminum flywheel,
minus the large valve, milled/ported clone head, Champion roller rockers, 22lb springs and big bore carb,
which I will be using to delete the Hemi head on my black DB. Instead it will get a .060 milled but otherwise stock clone head with 18lb Honda springs and stock "Mile High" re-jetted carb.

Daniel Coop

Double what I would have offered!

And you'd have swung and missed my friend. That'd have maybe bought one of my engines...One doesn't do a fresh build with attention to detail and invest real money to give shit away. I've got just over $300 in just performance parts alone in both those motors... I've got probably 30-40+ hrs labor into this bike when it's all said and done.

Hmm. I bet I could build one DAMN close for less than I offered with parts I have laying around. I'm just going based on what the market value is for the bike. I'm a car salesman bro I do this for a living. Didn't mean for it to sound rude but I'm not the one who put way too much cash in a Chinese bike! I've got a bad ass monster moto fully custom top to bottom pretty built for 225 lmao hahahahahahahahaha

Hey, so how from Denver to Parker? 25 miles? How about a competition? Show receipts, meet up, drag race head to head, best out of 5. Take photos, post here, OldMiniBikes peanut gallery judges.

I have a bunch of parts laying around too but I did pay for them at one time...

I'm booking my seat for the peanut gallery. Looks like [MENTION=55384]Daniel Coop[/MENTION] is getting called out again; however I feel like this one might end the same as last time.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Hmm. I bet I could build one DAMN close for less than I offered with parts I have laying around. I'm just going based on what the market value is for the bike. I'm a car salesman bro I do this for a living. Didn't mean for it to sound rude but I'm not the one who put way too much cash in a Chinese bike! I've got a bad ass monster moto fully custom top to bottom pretty built for 225 lmao hahahahahahahahaha

Man, your last post didn't bother me, but now I'm getting annoyed. I've seen your Monster Moto... It's a stock Predator stuffed in a stock Monster Moto, and you bought it that way, didn't build shit. You spent no time or money to make it what it is and it's slow as hell. Anyone of my bikes would smoke it. Yes, you got a good deal on it, well below "market value", but it's​ nothing compared to this bike. You're​ calling what junk in our area sells for on Craigslist market value. I'm creating a new market. I obviously didn't spend too much, because the deal is done, and I have a few hundred dollars in my pocket for it. If anything, he's getting a good deal on a custom built bike. I did it for the passion of building these, I by no means took advantage of the buyer. I have way more time into it then what I am being paid for it. The new Monster Moto 212 sells for $850, but is ugly and this bike would run circles around it.
Here's a little rough breakdown of what it cost me to build since you obviously have no clue what it takes to build a bike like I do.
1) used up Motovox MBX10 on Craigslist $100
2) brand new Box Stock Clone with flat top piston, BSP3 cam, milled head, 18lb springs and PVL aluminum flywheel, re-jetted carburetor, adapter, air filter and​ RLV 3 stage header w/mod muffler. All new, about $350.(maybe a hair more)
3) new ODI half waffle grips $15
4) new rear tire. $30
5) new DB sprocket adapter and split sprocket $35
6) new Motovox seat $90
7) new Max Torque 12t clutch with spring upgrade to green 2550 RPM stall $40
8) new pieced together hydraulic brake system $60
9) paint and material $40-$50
10) my time--priceless
Wow! Now that I'm doing the math, I think this guy is stealing it. Might be too much motor for the price. Debating taking a trip to Harbor Freight for another non Hemi Predator. I have an original CL1, springs and flywheel advance key for it...
Stick to slanging cars bro. You obviously know dick about building and selling mini bikes.
Ain't no call out fellas, there'd be NO competition.

Last edited: