New Predator lash cap issue

Brand new out of the box predator 212 supposedly the newest model non hemi. Most things resemble the older version but with some differences that I'm finding. Biggest issue being I bought a rev kit from nr-racing and things don't go together correctly, way too much lash. The kit came with one copper ring shim one lash cap and one spring retainer that is supposed to slide onto the valve and of course the two springs. The directions state copper shim not used on the 212 predators. You will re-use your stock exhaust retainer and lash cap. The supplied retainer and lash cap go on the intake valve.
My problem the valves are both the same length so agree no lower shim needed. But the stock engine doesn't have the slide off retainers or any lash caps. It has a standard retainer with the small split locks. The supplied retainer wont fit the valve groove so no use there and the lash cap seems too tall. It also appears that if I just adjust the rockers down they may not hit correctly. This predator also has a vented stamped valve cover and a plastic insert into the fuel tank both vent into the air box.
Sorry for such a long post I've been searching for hours and cant find any info with this style that is a non hemi.

I think the Predator you have is a newer version , thus having the automotive type keepers and retainers. So what you got from NR racing is not going to work.
You might talk to Russell at NR, he's probably seen this engine design by now.
Good Luck and I would like to buy one of these engines my self. What is the number on the box or on the blower housing ?

Yes, that's what I was figuring wasn't sure if they made shorter lash caps or if I should just do a valve job. Was planing to call them in the morning to see what they recommended. sticker on the engine and box says 69730.

Russell has alot of retainers/lock combinations , I've got a open engine with some of his valves, retainers and split keepers..he's got some nice racing parts. Give him a call and tell him whats going on. Sorry I wish I could help more. So this is a redesigned 69730, same number has the older predator.

Do you have a lash cap for the stock exhaust valve, and will it work on either valve intake or exhaust with the stock retainers and keepers with your new springs ?

If so can you use a lash cap off of one of the other engines you have ? To make a set of lash caps that will work. (temporarily)

Last edited:
Nether valve had a lash cap stock I even checked 2 other engines straight out of the box. The others don't have an unusual lash distance either. The pic is a stock right out of the box.

One of the differences between the older non-hemi and the newer non-hemi is that the newer one has smaller valve stems and bigger valves. So, the lash caps do not work on those. I bought lash caps as well for mine from Isky and when I called him, he said not to use them on the smaller stemmed valves.

One of the differences between the older non-hemi and the newer non-hemi is that the newer one has smaller valve stems and bigger valves. So, the lash caps do not work on those. I bought lash caps as well for mine from Isky and when I called him, he said not to use them on the smaller stemmed valves.
You also had a large lash? Did you just fix by adjusting the rockers?

vwfan79

Are you running a stock cam with the 22# springs? If so you will have problems, the stock cam lobes can't handle 22# springs and will begin to flatten.

Ok, if its a stock motor out of the box I wouldn't even bother putting 22 lb springs in...your engine isn't reaching high enough rpms for your valves to float ( stock ) 3600ish.... Do all the " cool " mods first then when you put your new piston rod in you might as well put those springs in!