New Project 1971 MTD Mud Bug Trike

125ccCrazy

The fisheyes are most likely from the wax used on the buck...any part that comes off the buck or out of the mold has to be cleaned really well before paint is applied, especially enamel...the slightest little bit of wax and you'll have issues... silicone is even worse for causing fisheyes, that stuff is almost impossible to get cleaned off..

teched

I sanded the crap out of it. You would have thought that would have cleaned off the wax, but maybe. I'm going to try laying it up this weekend. If I succeed, what color should I paint it. I would like to go original or close. Somewhere I read it was called Apricot. Have you guys tried the Duplicolor Burnt Orange Metallic. Looks kinda close and relatively cheap. I thought maybe that as a base and then mix in gold flake in the clear.

Jamie1972

I sanded the crap out of it. You would have thought that would have cleaned off the wax, but maybe. I'm going to try laying it up this weekend. If I succeed, what color should I paint it. I would like to go original or close. Somewhere I read it was called Apricot. Have you guys tried the Duplicolor Burnt Orange Metallic. Looks kinda close and relatively cheap. I thought maybe that as a base and then mix in gold flake in the clear.
:thumbsup:

teched

I'm Back with some success! I laid up the glass last weekend. It was very cold in the garage about 25 degrees. So I left it along for a week to set up. It started pulling it out this morning and about 20 minutes and had it free. It came out pretty darn good if I say so myself. Thanks to all that have commented on the project. It may be awhile before I get it prepped and painted, but I will add those picts once I complete it. I was planning on a Duplicolor Burnt orange but found this Firemist Orange from TCP $65 a quart. Looks to be very close to original. I'm so excited to finish this project up. Stay tuned!! 20161204_125941.jpg 20170101_113443.jpg 20170101_113452.jpg

teched

Thanks, It was a lot of work. Seams like I built the body three times. LOL!! I have some videos up on YouTube. I have several other videos of the Mud Bug plus other projects in various states of completion. Thanks for all your support. -Ed
https://youtu.be/tLCTKg7-G9U

Paint came in Yesterday, I think it will be close to original. Working on my Honda XR75 too. Might as well start another project before you finish the first one.

Body work continues...Closer to paint time. Anyone who has ever painted knows the more time you spend in prep the better the paint job will turn out. 20170116_151428.jpg