New project, Heald Hauler

I picked up a 3 wheeled Hauler yesterday, get some pics up later. Just a quick question about the tailgate, was trying to clean out the bed and couldn't figure out how to open the tailgate. Mine has shafts going thru the top and bottom with roll pins holding them in place and the chains look to be welded in place. I'm heading out to the garage to work on it and will snap some pics.

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work. I got the tailgate to work after lots of PB Blaster and a big hammer. Someone replaced one of the pins with a bolt and I thought it went all the way thru. Looks like all the main parts are there, the wiring was total garbage and someone has pulled the covers off the motor and didn't put them back right. Got it stripped down to 3 wheels and a frame, going to start checking the motor next.

good find the pins in the tailgait origanly had braided rope instead of the chain also have a few parts for the hauler as I used to be a dealer many years ago . before using it to much spray some lube on the clutches and make sure the engage and disengage properly also lube the chain grandpa ray

Been busy for the holidays, haven't got a lot done, but I do have a running motor now. The wiring on the motor was screwed up also, points engine that they put an electronic coil on and wired to the points with the kill wire. The carb was so full of sh** gas wouldn't even go in, the float was frozen in place and the bowl had about a 1/4" of dirt and rust in the bottom.

The next problem to solve is the steering, when I disassembled the front end I found the bolt and the bushings were trashed

Been busy for the holidays, haven't got a lot done, but I do have a running motor now. The wiring on the motor was screwed up also, points engine that they put an electronic coil on and wired to the points with the kill wire. The carb was so full of sh** gas wouldn't even go in, the float was frozen in place and the bowl had about a 1/4" of dirt and rust in the bottom.

The next problem to solve is the steering, when I disassembled the front end I found the bolt and the bushings were trashed

I’ve not seen an axle design like that. Mild steel flanged bushings holding a graded axle bolt? The PO must have replaced the flanged bearings with bushings maybe? I think they call that self-machining.
Nice machine, good power plant.

Sat- Those bushings are from the steering stem, not the axle. The flange bearings in the front axle are about the only thing on this beast that doesn't need replacing.

Still plugging along on this beast, just disassembled the rear axle, had to be one of the roughest dirtiest jobs ever. I've got new bearings and hangars on order for the reassembly. I had some new bushings made for the steering stem. The seat and handlebars were a little too close for me, so I got a buddy of mine to weld in a 6in extension. Found a place online that carries some Heald parts and mini bike, utv, atv, tractor, etc. parts, it's called Route 21 Trading Company, they have the exhaust flex pipe.
Couple of pics for you.

A couple of questions, what is the best grease to put in the differential? And what weight gear oil should go in the F-N-R gearbox?

We have a Heald Hauler trike and our differential just blew to pieces. It is at a remote locations and I can't go and disassemble it. I may have found a new differential with an axel but what type of bearings hold it in place? Any Idea as to where to get new ones.

The rear axle in mine is a Comet SCD-1, some are a peerless. The bearings for mine are standard 1" axle bearings with 2 hole flanges, just about any go kart/mini bike shop should have them.

The rear axle in mine is a Comet SCD-1, some are a peerless. The bearings for mine are standard 1" axle bearings with 2 hole flanges, just about any go kart/mini bike shop should have them.
Sometimes the bearings are referred to as "ag bearings" . Got mine at a bearing supply locally.

Hate to do it, but I'll be putting this beast up for sale. I've got too many projects and not enough room or money. I just overhauled the trans, new bearings and seal on input shaft, replaced missing roll pin and shims. Somebody had it apart and had it all screwed up. The only thing I haven't done is the brakes, have a new master cylinder, needs calipers rebuilt and new lines run. Asking $750, located near Cincinnati. I'll get an actual sale ad up with pics in few days.

Hi, I don't know if anyone is still on this thread but, does anyone know how the carb/governor are supposed to be setup on a heald hauler? I got an old one from my dad (that we used to use when I was a kid) and I'm trying to get it going again.