New project?

Crotch rocket.png

Got this for free the other day from my coworker. Still need to get the plastics and a few parts from him. Don't know if it runs or not yet. Going to be a spring project. Its a 1997 Suzuki 600 SRAD. He got it on a trade from some one that took it apart and could not figure out how to get it running again. Frame looks good so it was not wrecked or any thing. I don't have a motorcycle endorsement and have only rode small dirt bikes like 250 2 stroke stuff so don't know what the plan for this thing is. The intake is missing but my friend has it. Going to pull the carbs off, do a rebuild and clean them up and see if it will run. Going to do the usual that a person would do to an old vehicle. Pull the tank to clean it, oil filter, plugs battery and see what it dose. Not sure if I am going to restore the bike and get if back on the road, drive it, trade it or use motor for a go-kart. This was the first year of the 600 SRAD and the last year of it using a carb. They were fuel injected after this. Feels fairly light weight for its size and is comfortable. I figure this thing needs about $1,000-$1,500 in parts to get back on the road and looking nice. Parts for this thing are pretty cheep compared to a car. If motor has some issues I might do a 750 motor swap on it. Not bad for free though. I thought if it runs maybe selling it and using the money for some tools for my mini.

Ya did a little research on it when it got dropped off and looked a little on Ebay just to get an idea of how hard it was to track down parts like the plastics and a used motor if it has some serious problem. The stock motor is about $600 shipped. My buddy was going to make a cafe racer out of it but never did any thing with it. I was showing him videos of go-karts with motorcycle motors when he said " how would you like to build one I got a bike you can have " I would hate to dismantle this bike. I think it could be a good bike again. Maybe its time I get a motorcycle endorsement. Was thinking if I get it going and don't like it that I could trade some one for a cheep cruiser. I have wanted something like a Suzuki S40 for years now. A nice single cylinder, air cooled 652cc motor. Got to see if I can get this thing running first though.