New Ride Entry: LiL Indian W/A400 Age Guesstimate?

:scooter:Won this gem on ebay the other day...
01.jpg

Broke my heart to this lil guy being stripped apart and sold for parts.
04.jpg
06.jpg

Forks are a little bent but i'm hoping to correct that.
03.jpg

Might be in the market for some straight forks if the price is right. Chime in if you have some.
09.jpg

I grabbed as many pictures of the parts as I could for referencing.
12.jpg
10.jpg
A400 1140 E Motor 1957989
15.jpg
Fenders & Brake
17.jpg
19.jpg
21.jpg

Let me know what y'all think. Thanks
lilone.jpg

Bike will be in next week, can hardly wait to start bringing it back to life. Keep ya posted :thumbsup:

markus

possibly even newer than that....note the throttle/grips are the Block style (same that Fox used) that started to show on the bikes in the 1971 catalog as a change from the "cushionare" grips and used through the next couple of years on the Decal bikes.

possibly even newer than that....note the throttle/grips are the Block style (same that Fox used) that started to show on the bikes in the 1971 catalog as a change from the "cushionare" grips and used through the next couple of years on the Decal bikes.
Ya..he asked for a "guesstimate". About a 70...but could be 71. lol

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Ha, I was also watching this on eBay. I too have an A400 frame that I recently dug out of the back of my dads garage that I thought about semi restoring. Unfortunately there is so much crap welded to the frame from previous owners that it would be a real pain to un-do, hence why I started trolling eBay. Not to mention, I chopped the handlebars off 25 years ago and added some ape hangers just so I could ride it!. I really wish I didn't chop it up now that I know what it is. Did the engine and brakes come with the sale?, the listing never specified anything other than the frame. During my research, I found that they started using disc brakes in 1966 but the only image I found has a Kelsey Hayes triangle caliper not the rounded one. In fact, I haven't seen an advertisement that shows the rounded one. Also mine doesn't have the hole in the engine plate which I do believe makes yours a 71 to my knowledge, when they started using Tecumseh engines. I thought about re-popping these frames but a little beefier because the A400 is my favorite mini of all time and they aren't that easy to find in good condition anymore. Anyhow, Good luck with the build and try not to worry about getting it 100% correct as it will drive you nuts, Unless that's what you want. If it was you, I would straighten the forks, sandblast and paint the frame, re-build your Clinton, find the correct wheels and enjoy!.