New rides entry: 2012 Bad Dog Gigantic Ballon

dmetcalf69 2012 Bad Dog Gigantic Ballon

Kit ordered and hand assembled/built.Cleaned up the frame, welds and painted to choiceassembled and built as I went Paint and Assembly time 2 - 3 weeksI would like to now modify the existing Mini Bike but need suggestions on the following.Performance starts slow and stays there, tops out around 20 - 25MPHDisk Brakes I have a manual on the sprocket break but it isn't very efficient

dmetcalf69 2012 Bad Dog Gigantic Ballon

Kit ordered and hand assembled/built.Cleaned up the frame, welds and painted to choiceassembled and built as I went Paint and Assembly time 2 - 3 weeksI would like to now modify the existing Mini Bike but need suggestions on the following.Performance starts slow and stays there, tops out around 20 - 25MPHDisk Brakes I have a manual on the sprocket break but it isn't very efficient

cool rig you have there! Is your "brake" to tight on the sprocket? as in the brake pads rubbing against the sprocket?, also you may need a bigger rear sprocket like a 60 tooth or a 72 tooth if you can find one. looks like its around a 50ish or something from the pic without knowing for sure. and make sure the TAV is lined up correctly. Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!
let us know when you have a chance to check it over

Thank you, but it could be a lot cooler.

Anyway the brake doesn't seem to be rubbing, I know it doesn't stop me very well and would like a better braking solution.

My son just counted the teeth and tells me it is a 60 tooth sprocket, While I want to go faster 35 - 40 ish I also want to still be able to climb hills, and if memory serves me correctly (I'm going back a lot of years) but smaller sprocket allowed me to climb like hell and the bigger sprocket allowed me to go faster. I need a decent compromise.

As for the TAV being "lined up" I am not sure what you mean. It looks straight at a glance. Did you mean something else?

I've got a decent power plant 10 hp Tecumseh engine, it doesn't run well after all that time in storage so I need to work that out. It maybe a carb problem the engine surges now but it looks like it is controlled by the governor somehow. I can see it going back and forth when it is just a little past idle.

I'll take some better pictures or the rear end asap.

The (front) driver and the (rear) driven do NOT look aligned properly. You can easily see the belt going to the left as it leaves the driven toward the driver
Michael

Without sounding stupid how do you align those pulleys?
The Torq a Verter came on the engine. So I have never messed with it.

I mounted the engine and tried to pull the slack out of the chain (I think I need a tensioner) but that was it.

What chrisr said^^^^
That pulley mis-alignment is effecting (reducing) your performance and will wear out belts real fast.
Michael

Thank you for the white paper on the TAV30. I'll have to check it but I need to get the engine running properly first ar at least at the same time. I think I need to find an inexpensive mechanic that doesn't cost me more than a regular mechanic. :doah:

You are off to a partial start to find out the sluggish performance from your bike now, as stated above you need to fix the alignment when you get a chance, the misalignment "could" be holding your engine back somewhat. As for fixing up the motor, try do some research on what could be causing it to surge, carb issues can generally be fixed by you pretty easily, hopefully you won't need to take it to a shop, the guys on here are extremely helpful. Keep us updated!!!!

Last edited:

chrisr

The smaller sprocket on the front sprocket will allow better hill climbing and the larger front sprocket will allow higher mph. The 10/12t front sprocket with the 60t rear sprocket when using a 30 series clutch you should be good to go for decent mph and climb hills. The carb should be taken off and cleaned since the jet (screw that is on the bottom of the bowl) may be restricted. The governor is pretty easy to set and will have an effect on your performance.

Your engine looks like a HM100
https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Techumseh-L-Head-Engines-Manual.pdf

Thank you, but it could be a lot cooler.

Anyway the brake doesn't seem to be rubbing, I know it doesn't stop me very well and would like a better braking solution.

My son just counted the teeth and tells me it is a 60 tooth sprocket, While I want to go faster 35 - 40 ish I also want to still be able to climb hills, and if memory serves me correctly (I'm going back a lot of years) but smaller sprocket allowed me to climb like hell and the bigger sprocket allowed me to go faster. I need a decent compromise.

As for the TAV being "lined up" I am not sure what you mean. It looks straight at a glance. Did you mean something else?

I've got a decent power plant 10 hp Tecumseh engine, it doesn't run well after all that time in storage so I need to work that out. It maybe a carb problem the engine surges now but it looks like it is controlled by the governor somehow. I can see it going back and forth when it is just a little past idle.

I'll take some better pictures or the rear end asap.

oh first hurdle overcome, well almost.
I figured out the motor surging was a dirty carburetor, a full clean and rebuild solved that and the idling issue.
I need to figure out the Governor issue and the alignment issue with the TAV.
But one step closer.