New rides entry: 2013 Coleman CT200u

With an 8-tooth cog at 5500 it is 43, but then I can easily pull in OD to 48.
With a 9-tooth cog at 5500 it is 48, but then I can pull in OD to 53 and beyond.
Pulling a Comet belt too hard in OD will flip it over, but the Bando racing belt hangs tough.
It will slip and glaze even a new Comet belt in just a few minutes.
The thrill for me is repeated standing start WOT acceleration/deceleration to 5500-6000 in dirt/gravel or on blacktop.

Last edited:
Did not know the belts had such a hard time at top speed. I kept my governor in my motor after I built it but can adjust it to 5K. Maybe I should leave it in. Got a torque converter for mine just have yet to install it. Maybe keeping it will save some belts.

The beetle I had for years didn't have a passenger seat...
If you rode with me you sat in the back..
The TC provides gobs of torque at either 8/56 (7-1) or 9/56 (6.2-1) gearing.
A blue and pink garter spring instead of two blues will bring the engagement down to 3000 rpm
which works well too.

Did not know the belts had such a hard time at top speed. I kept my governor in my motor after I built it but can adjust it to 5K. Maybe I should leave it in. Got a torque converter for mine just have yet to install it. Maybe keeping it will save some belts.
At sustained high rpms i can imagine the belt is so hot it's becoming unglued..

They only have a hard time when you try to apply well over twice the recommended hp
and/or you try to pull past 5500 revs. Otherwise you will not have any issue at all with
the belt.

Please explain the belt having a hard time over 5500 rpm. I can understand the twice hp and it having a hard time under acceleration. Once the clutches are shifted out, then it is just engine rpm and the bike will in essence be direct drive as if you just had two fixed diameter pullies, as engine goes up 100 rpm, bike goes a little much faster. Another 100 rpm, faster again.
I'm trying to understand more about the belt problems at higher rpm. I read similar comments in other threads.
Perhaps others can learn also. Please explain in some detail.
Thank you.
Danford1

Seems logical high torque could overdrive the tc making alot of slip causing heat especially if gearing is high...I'm just interested because is a puzzle that has an answer..:laugh:

Please explain the belt having a hard time over 5500 rpm. I can understand the twice hp and it having a hard time under acceleration. Once the clutches are shifted out, then it is just engine rpm and the bike will in essence be direct drive as if you just had two fixed diameter pullies, as engine goes up 100 rpm, bike goes a little much faster. Another 100 rpm, faster again.
I'm trying to understand more about the belt problems at higher rpm. I read similar comments in other threads.
Perhaps others can learn also. Please explain in some detail.
Thank you.
Danford1
Our understanding is the same about the eventual direct drive. After making 6-8 pulls on a hot day up to
55-5600, the comet belt will flip backward in the sheaves~ 5500. I honestly don't know why. More
problematic is the comet belt slipping under WOT and glazing the tapered side to a shiny smooth black. End of belt.
The bando belt will not slip which makes for phenomenal acceleration; I don't push it though theoretically with
enough open road and enough motor the speed is unlimited. The bando belt eventually wears down but can be
used til it pops. Careful here, one popped on me and got hung in the driven enough to lock the back wheel up. Also, we both know that , more specifically, the "direct- drive" is actually direct-over-drive.

Last edited:
Laz, you made my day. It's remarkable you are the first forum member to ever
say anything about my mini bike since posted 4/18. It had parts on it I had never
seen on another bike and had a fine motor, but didn't merit a word until you
said what you said today. It made for a hopeful New Years Day, thank-you brother!!!
It invigorated me to work on a new motor all afternoon.
P.S. Sorry, I forgot Raskin said Nice Ride.and that the front fender reminded him of a VW beetle.

John time and attention to detail isnt for everyone . I like nice stuff and know how much time it takes after seeing your bike i went to work on mine when i get it running i will post it up