new tec versus old tec 6hp

i have 2 6hp tecs,
the black one,runs great and needs nothing.
the red one,has electric start,and what looks to be lighted coil? wiring coming out of the shroud.
it also has a dead rod,broken,with the piston somewhere up top
the caps laying in the pan im assuming since the crank/flywheel spins freely.

the black one,looks to be an Alum block?
where the red one seems to be Cast iron?
and weighs a ton.

can any parts interchange between these two like the lighted part and the starter?
or should i get a new rod<the way im leaning>
and rebuild it?
this motor is going on a big framed bike build so it needs to be able to carry weight.
plus im hoping the charging system will run a headlight taillight combo.
can i get a Good rod for a motor like this?
what would you do?

Last edited:
Pull the housings. I bet the black one has an external coil and the red one is a points ign. If I'm wrong, then you could swap the lighting coil. otherwise the flywheels are different.

markus

Pull the housings. I bet the black one has an external coil and the red one is a points ign. If I'm wrong, then you could swap the lighting coil. otherwise the flywheels are different.
On the smaller size blocks they do still have the lugs under the flywheel, and they worked as a replacement block. Dunno if the big blocks did the same thing though.

i'd break out my impact and start pulling the shrouds and wheels, if the lugs are there and taper is the same I'd be swapping th the outer parts and leaving that cast iron boat anchor with the snapped rod at the curb :thumbsup:

The older ones had a smaller taper than the newer ones if I remember right but you might get lucky :shrug: you might have to drill and tap that newer block to bolt up the older style coil too. I have one of those Troy built HH60 motors and it has a roller bearing on the PTO side, I noticed that one does not.

Last edited:
On the smaller size blocks they do still have the lugs under the flywheel, and they worked as a replacement block. Dunno if the big blocks did the same thing though.

i'd break out my impact and start pulling the shrouds and wheels, if the lugs are there and taper is the same I'd be swapping th the outer parts and leaving that cast iron boat anchor with the snapped rod at the curb :thumbsup:
wow,See,thats Why you guys Rock!!
i was thinking Because it was cast it would be stronger and better.
not so i learned,okay so strip and r.i.p. it.
run the black one.
sounds good to me
Ty to all esp Marcus.

only question i have left is this,the lighting coils on this motor,
Will it Run a headlight tailight combo?
or,put it a better way,How do i use this Effectively?
battery? it looks like a battery type setup for the starter.
if theres a topic please direct me :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

you will have to use the hh60 crank and flywheel together but the issue might be the oil seal on the flywheel side.... .The newer style H60 will have a larger seal than a most points engines ... pull the flywheel off the red one, if the crank measures 1" at the seal you should be good as long as the rod journal on the crank isn't galled or scored up..

markus

do anything yet :shrug: I'm curious to see what crosses over. or post up the numbers on the late model so I can check some part numbers :thumbsup:

do anything yet :shrug: I'm curious to see what crosses over. or post up the numbers on the late model so I can check some part numbers :thumbsup:
not yet Markus,been Working/plus working on other builds and trying to stuff bikes in boxes.:doah:
but when i read this,i went out and got the numbers off the late model.
h60 75482t ser 3081D
lmk what you come up with,
i personally took it off a rototiller but<< it had obviously been swapped onto that<<.
if we have time tomm,ill disassemble both and try the swap.:thumbsup:

we ended up keeping the running later model intact.

the old tec tho,we need a rod for it.
it turns out,
that motor fit perfectly into a diff project with starter and all,and my buddy can really use it.
soooo that kinda made my mind up,i didnt really want to tear apart the good tec.

anyone know what rod is best and where to find such a thing for this ancient lump?
any Tips for this rebuild would be Greatly appreciated...:bowdown:

as a side note,seeing as this is going into a heavy bike,i do have a 7hp /late seventies/ and an 8hp / early seventies/ tec,would any of that be Useful in a rebuild/stroker scenario using the 6hp tec case??

we ended up keeping the running later model intact.

the old tec tho,we need a rod for it.
it turns out,
that motor fit perfectly into a diff project with starter and all,and my buddy can really use it.
soooo that kinda made my mind up,i didnt really want to tear apart the good tec.

anyone know what rod is best and where to find such a thing for this ancient lump?
any Tips for this rebuild would be Greatly appreciated...:bowdown:

as a side note,seeing as this is going into a heavy bike,i do have a 7hp /late seventies/ and an 8hp / early seventies/ tec,would any of that be Useful in a rebuild/stroker scenario using the 6hp tec case??
The internal parts from the 7&8hp motors wont work in a 6hp Tecumseh only the 5hp parts will work in a 6hp and you would be turning it into a 5hp by using the crank and con rod out of one because they both share the same bore.

thanks Rocco,i spent like 4 hours last nite using the search function to arrive exactly what you just said.
most of the topics/threads never actually get anywheres,very confusing.
seems like there should be a sticky describing the motors and their swaps and such...?

and,has anyone had experience with this rod for their rebuild?
Prime Line Rod for Tecumseh Engine Part 31380C 30949 34229 30681 | eBay
or can recommend a better rod?
thanks

thanks Rocco,i spent like 4 hours last nite using the search function to arrive exactly what you just said.
most of the topics/threads never actually get anywheres,very confusing.
seems like there should be a sticky describing the motors and their swaps and such...?

and,has anyone had experience with this rod for their rebuild?
Prime Line Rod for Tecumseh Engine Part 31380C 30949 34229 30681 | eBay
or can recommend a better rod?
thanks
To be honest I have never thrown the rod on one but I do gear the bike so its always pulling, once you get one wide open and going as fast as it can go, don't hold it there! "let off the gas" or you will throw your next rod too. Remember its just a mini bike! it ain't no dirt bike.