New to me Colman CT200U - Sudden clutch lock up ?

SAS289

Was that blue on the CT200U a factory color? Never seen that before.
No. Both bikes were beat up Amazon returns when I got them. I had to spray them and didn't do a very good job on either. The blue bike color is Rust-oleum gloss navy blue.

The blue bike is just a low hour yard rider with the original 2016 chain. It has an air filter kit, 140 etube, and .033" jet. Including the cost of the bike I have about $280 or so into it. I should sell it because I don't really need 2 bikes. My now adult kids were never interested.

Last edited:
My tag says 2016-06-23, so June, that year - They must have really been cranking them out, to ramp up the numbers so quickly .

A photo - By the milk crate on the back, you can see what use I'm putting it to - We live on a sand road, with the mailboxes about a 1/4 mile away.
I'll use it every day it's not raining to go fetch the mail :~) View attachment 289442
Slap a TAV on that bad boy.. I’m recently an owner of two of those beauties. Never thought I could live a machine so much!! Mine did the same thing and a bought a tourqe averter on it !! She rips. Will do everything and more that u want! Easy to install with a little help from all these people on this site! Welcome

2old2care

OK, After seeing the above post, I think it's time for an update.
My thanks to everyone that suggested adding a torque converter - You were all 100% absolutely right! Night / day difference in the way the bike behaves, for the kind of riding I do.
But, I didn't stop there, as I did a couple other minor tweaks to my little mail carrier ;~)

A better intake and exhaust set up, and bigger jets in the carb woke it right up - It starts first pull and runs great now. Looks good too, I think.
In addition to the TAV, I added a 60 tooth sprocket - The combination is pretty close to perfect, as much acceleration as I'd ever want, but very controllable now.
I have said that the road I ride on every day is absolute crap, so as you can see, I also made some improvements to where the rubber meets the road. Between the SunF tires and the front suspension, I no longer dread the washboards and soft sand :~)
I did change one thing, since this photo - I re-routed the control cables to the front of the forks, as I realized that's where they should run.

You people have got me infected now (affected, effected, infested, whatever) - Y'all are some serious enablers ........
Since I've likely gone as far as I want with this bike, I've already picked up another one, for another project - But that's another story.
minibike.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot - My talented wife was so impressed by my interest in the bike, that she surprised me (for my birthday), with a sticker she made on her vinyl cutter :~)
warranty.jpg

Last edited:
OK, After seeing the above post, I think it's time for an update.
My thanks to everyone that suggested adding a torque converter - You were all 100% absolutely right! Night / day difference in the way the bike behaves, for the kind of riding I do.
But, I didn't stop there, as I did a couple other minor tweaks to my little mail carrier ;~)

A better intake and exhaust set up, and bigger jets in the carb woke it right up - It starts first pull and runs great now. Looks good too, I think.
In addition to the TAV, I added a 60 tooth sprocket - The combination is pretty close to perfect, as much acceleration as I'd ever want, but very controllable now.
I have said that the road I ride on every day is absolute crap, so as you can see, I also made some improvements to where the rubber meets the road. Between the SunF tires and the front suspension, I no longer dread the washboards and soft sand :~)
I did change one thing, since this photo - I re-routed the control cables to the front of the forks, as I realized that's where they should run.

You people have got me infected now (affected, effected, infested, whatever) - Y'all are some serious enablers ........
Since I've likely gone as far as I want with this bike, I've already picked up another one, for another project - But that's another story.
View attachment 291256

Oh, I almost forgot - My talented wife was so impressed by my interest in the bike, that she surprised me (for my birthday), with a sticker she made on her vinyl cutter :~)
View attachment 291257
Nice dude!!! Where u find shox that fit her!! I’m new to this!! I’m loving it!! I got two right now, one for me one for my lady!! Tires look tuff as hell!

2old2care

"Here's an upgrade for the Coleman that I've yet to do."
That WOULD be a nice thing - Having a sprung seat would be icing on the cake!
I'll have to give this some serious thought now ......... Deeper in I go ........

Tarslave asked about the front suspension - That's a kit you can buy right from Coleman Powersports .
It made a huge difference in ride-ability, and I think it was well worth it.
Remain seated, and try not to clutch your wallet too hard, when you total it up with the cruel and unusual shipping o_O
https://www.colemanpowersportsusa.com/FSK200UA

Last edited:
"Here's an upgrade for the Coleman that I've yet to do."
That WOULD be a nice thing - Having a sprung seat would be icing on the cake!
I'll have to give this some serious thought now ......... Deeper in I go ........

Tarslave asked about the front suspension - That's a kit you can buy right from Coleman Powersports .
It made a huge difference in ride-ability, and I think it was well worth it.
Remain seated, and try not to clutch your wallet too hard, when you total it up with the cruel and unusual shipping o_O
https://www.colemanpowersportsusa.com/FSK200UA
Ok too old 2 remember, I went on the Coleman power sports site. Will the shocks from the ct200uex work for mine, they are like 31$ a piece? Correct? I think the should fit.

2old2care

I don't think it's that simple - It's not just the shocks you need (and I think I read that they're not exactly the same), but also the whole triple tree set up, a different fender bracket, longer pivot bolt, and the handlebar.
Believe me, if there was a cheaper way, I would have done it.

I don't think it's that simple - It's not just the shocks you need (and I think I read that they're not exactly the same), but also the whole triple tree set up, a different fender bracket, longer pivot bolt, and the handlebar.
Believe me, if there was a cheaper way, I would have done it.
Ok I was wondering if you needed more than just the shocks. That makes sense. We will see how long my fiancé and I can put up with the rough ride lol

2old2care

Ok I was wondering if you needed more than just the shocks. That makes sense. We will see how long my fiancé and I can put up with the rough ride lol
Well, I can suggest one thing that might help with the rough ride, and it's free - Almost.
The factory recommended tire pressure is 10lb - I don't know how big you are, but for me, at 10lbs pressure, those tires rode like rocks!
I've since aired them down to 5lb, and the difference is huge - I think 5-6 lbs is all most folks need.
Having said that, I guess if you're riding on pavement at high speed, maybe you'd want more pressure, but for off road, low is much better.

To do it right, you'll need a low pressure tire gauge - The normal ones aren't even close to accurate at these low pressures.
This is the one I use - Pretty decent quality, very sensitive, and comes in a nice little case :
https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Pressure-Dial-Tire-Gauge/dp/B01MRDEGW2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GVFNU4VER164&keywords=tusk+tire+gauge&qid=1656892895&s=automotive&sprefix=tusk+tire+gauge,automotive,802&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Well, I can suggest one thing that might help with the rough ride, and it's free - Almost.
The factory recommended tire pressure is 10lb - I don't know how big you are, but for me, at 10lbs pressure, those tires rode like rocks!
I've since aired them down to 5lb, and the difference is huge - I think 5-6 lbs is all most folks need.
Having said that, I guess if you're riding on pavement at high speed, maybe you'd want more pressure, but for off road, low is much better.

To do it right, you'll need a low pressure tire gauge - The normal ones aren't even close to accurate at these low pressures.
This is the one I use - Pretty decent quality, very sensitive, and comes in a nice little case :
https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Pressure-Dial-Tire-Gauge/dp/B01MRDEGW2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GVFNU4VER164&keywords=tusk+tire+gauge&qid=1656892895&s=automotive&sprefix=tusk+tire+gauge,automotive,802&sr=1-1
Ok yes I do have them at 10psi. I’ll air them down. I might .. might.. this winter get the forks. I found there is a kit on the Coleman power sports website. Does this kit have everything I’d need? Unfortunately I’d need two of them. My fiancé is my riding partner. If I do it to mine and not hers I’d never hear the end of it .. lol 81DAA1C5-1758-4500-A8B1-17672C323DA6.png

2old2care

Yes, the kit has everything you need to do it - I think there might even be some online videos for installing it, but it's not a big deal.
Now, if you really wanted to show your fiancé how much you cared, you'd do hers first :~)

Last edited:
You guys are awesome!!? Happy wife happy life!! Honestly this Hobby is totally new to us and we are loving it. You all have been so great. Great information I look forward to reading all the responses and the new posts.