New to me Colman CT200U - Sudden clutch lock up ?

2old2care

Hi y'all - My first post here .
Bought a 2016 CT200u a couple days ago - It has a totally stock 196cc engine, with pretty low mileage, and actually in really nice shape.
I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, cleaned and gapped the plug - The engine runs like a champ, starts on the first pull, seems to idle nicely, and has plenty of power.

My problem is this - It seems like the clutch engages all of a sudden, at a pretty high rpm. It's like you give it about 1/4 throttle, the engine revs but nothing moves, and then a tiny bit more, and it suddenly locks up, and takes off with a lunge. The first time it happened, it was a real shocker !

So, is this normal, to be expected from the stock clutch? Would a new clutch help? Would changing to a torque converter help?
Or, maybe I'm just expecting too much from the little bike?

I'm a decent mechanic, so changing things like this is not a big deal - Whatever will make it work better.
This bike is just for utility off-road use, and I'm not interested much in a higher top speed, just better low / medium speed drive-ability and control .
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome 2the madness 2old2care the man that's got several of these @toomanytoys will be along here directly. He's got several of'm and done alot with them. You're in the right place Sir .

Always been told to lean forward when ya "Goug'r Delbert" Have you oiled the bronze bushing with a drop or two of oil?
Riding the way you state a Torque Converter might be better suited. IMHO

Also ALOT of us here are 2old2care!

PS Where there is one there will be more to follow... Jus'sayin ;)

The clutch spring is worn. I don't mess with metric clutches, but I routinely change the springs and the bushings in the Max Torque clutches, of which the Chinese ones are a copy. Get a new clutch, they're cheap, then lubricate it with a drop of oil on the bushing (good luck hitting it with the drop) every half hour of riding time.

SAS289

If you are going to order a clutch you'll need to know which one to get. 2016 was around the time they switched from a 3/4" clutch to a 16mm clutch. Check the serial number. If the last 5 digits are 37961 and under you need a 3/4" clutch. 37962 and higher you need a 16mm clutch. As long as it's the original engine.

To be sure just pull the clutch and measure the crankshaft (PTO) diameter.

2old2care

A big thanks to all of you, especially SAS289, for the serial number info - Mine ends in 28464, so well before the 3/4" cut off.
I have ordered a new clutch, as well as enough chain to replace both (which I think it also needs).
I will report back, and we'll see if it cures the problem.

BTW, I can understand the appeal of these things - It's actually fun to work on it, and I think it'll fun to ride, once I get it sorted out (A little white-knuckled right now). I could certainly see getting another one ..........
Thanks again.

SAS289

3/4".... Nice. It's ready for a common clutch or torque converter.

What's the date on your tag? Both of my 200U's are October 2016 and are higher than 37961.

It's a good thing that you are having fun working on it. With a new chain you'll need to adjust it and ride, then adjust it and ride again. So keep an eye on the chain stretch. May need done three times before it's done stretching. My current RK chain is on its third adjustment and needs ridden.

I guess I'll toss in here that since it's an SAE size, you can go with a Max Torque and change to a green spring and get a higher RPM clutch engagement. It's not for drag racing, but it gets the engine into a better power band RPM before engaging the clutch, which is helpful when the rider is adult-size. Kind of tedious to do, but well worth it, and kind of fun in a bruised fingers, cuss-word kind of way. :)

2old2care

My tag says 2016-06-23, so June, that year - They must have really been cranking them out, to ramp up the numbers so quickly .

A photo - By the milk crate on the back, you can see what use I'm putting it to - We live on a sand road, with the mailboxes about a 1/4 mile away.
I'll use it every day it's not raining to go fetch the mail :~) minibike sm.jpg

Heck, one of you knowledgeable types ought to chime in about the benefits of a TAV conversion on this. Seems to me a quarter mile ride on a sandy road on a regular basis would be the perfect reason for one.

old shed finds

Hi y'all - My first post here .
Bought a 2016 CT200u a couple days ago - It has a totally stock 196cc engine, with pretty low mileage, and actually in really nice shape.
I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, cleaned and gapped the plug - The engine runs like a champ, starts on the first pull, seems to idle nicely, and has plenty of power.

My problem is this - It seems like the clutch engages all of a sudden, at a pretty high rpm. It's like you give it about 1/4 throttle, the engine revs but nothing moves, and then a tiny bit more, and it suddenly locks up, and takes off with a lunge. The first time it happened, it was a real shocker !

So, is this normal, to be expected from the stock clutch? Would a new clutch help? Would changing to a torque converter help?
Or, maybe I'm just expecting too much from the little bike?

I'm a decent mechanic, so changing things like this is not a big deal - Whatever will make it work better.
This bike is just for utility off-road use, and I'm not interested much in a higher top speed, just better low / medium speed drive-ability and control .
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My 2015 is a 3/4 crank.... I grabbed a Hillard clutch and been perfect since the 80 bucks is worth it... The stock clutch can be ruined by very little heat we found out... Heat expands the clutch spring and they do chatter and grab just after idle .

2old2care

Well. I ordered a new clutch (NOT Hilliard - Just cheap copy), and we'll see if it makes the bike behave.
If not, I'm totally OK with putting a torque converter in it - I'm happy to do whatever it takes.

toomanytoys

They are addicting to play with. Obviously all of us are here because we love these little bikes.

I started in 1991 when my dad gave me my first minibike. I haven’t not had a mini bike or a dozen since then.

2old2care

OK, I'm back.
I replaced the clutch, and it's a LOT better - Much smoother and more predictable. Of course, one thing led to another, and I wound up replacing not only the clutch, but the chains, jackshaft bearings, tension roller, rear wheel bearings, and brake shoes, as well !
We'll see how the new clutch holds up - Most people here predict gloom and doom for it, but I'll ride it for a while and see.

One thing, the road I ride it on is all sand, with alternating washboard, and soft areas - I started out with 8 lbs in the tires, and quickly reduced that to 6, which was much better, but I may reduce the tire pressure some more, as I don't weigh a lot - I don't know how low some of you would go with this. The road alternates between teeth chattering vibration, and the rear tire trying to squirm out on the soft stuff.

I see that Coleman now sells a front suspension kit for the bike, and that looks really attractive to me - I wish it wasn't so expensive, but my birthday is coming up, and I may treat myself . I'm much happier with the little bike now, and I'm thinking kindly towards it, so we shall see .
Thank you all for the advice, and I'll report back again, if I decide to get the suspension kit.

toomanytoys

my daughters bt200x has a great deal of riding on it in the yard with the factory clutch. I’ve had great luck out of all my Coleman stuff. I know my trail loop that I ride my CT200u on is 10 miles. It ride that loop multiple times a week 8 months out of the year. Had my bike for 4 years.

This year I had to replace the brake pads, all the wheel bearings, and chain.

I’d venture to say the bike has about 5k miles on it maybe more.

Front suspension kit highly worth it!

12788F76-3875-4770-ADE3-519E5C0AA3B8.jpeg

Last edited:

SAS289

The suspension kit was nicer than I expected. Price was $135 plus $40 shipping to Ohio. Shipping may be much higher than when I got mine in 2020. It may be worth getting if you plan on keeping the bike and doing more to it.

Last I checked I was running 5 or 6 psi. I still run the original tires which aren't that good but at least keep their tread as long as you keep it off the road. My other 200U which is stock somehow got a sidewall leak from yard riding. It got replaced with a $35 Amazon cheapie.

20170401_183751.jpg 20210626_205443.jpg

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I will add thing on the front suspension.

it is about the only mini bike suspension that I’ve ever seen that was robust enough not to constantly bottom out over every bump and hole.

Very nice and comfortable.

The suspension kit was nicer than I expected. Price was $135 plus $40 shipping to Ohio. Shipping may be much higher than when I got mine in 2020. It may be worth getting if you plan on keeping the bike and doing more to it.

Last I checked I was running 5 or 6 psi. I still run the original tires which aren't that good but at least keep their tread as long as you keep it off the road. My other 200U which is stock somehow got a sidewall leak from yard riding. It got replaced with a $35 Amazon cheapie.

View attachment 289647 View attachment 289648

Was that blue on the CT200U a factory color? Never seen that before.