New to me Drill press

Wow this is a realy bad picture lol....

But its a high speed drill press for doing prescise tiny holes....

This is for carb work lol.
Freebie!

Looks like you were trying to show off the bottle and the press got in the way!! :laugh:
Cant beat a freebie!!:thumbsup:
The beer is strictly for medicinal purposes.
Helps with digestion lol...
Relieves nervous ticks......

Side effects may cause you to tell the wife what you realy think about things you generaly smile and nod about.........

Oldsalt

Always wanted one but the PRICE they get for them things, when you can find one for sale, has kept me from owning one.

I never had the oppertunity to look at these before OS but I took advantage of getting it once I realized it could do.

Bill I know what you are talking about with the dremel.
I have seen those, but I am not sure how tight a tollerence something like that can drill.

This little fellow although old and well used is probably the top drawer tool for drilling out jets and passages in carbs.

When I get time to sit down and use it I will take some pictures.
Not sure if you mentioned this when I first brought it up but my Dad is retired and living in Georgia.
He realy enjoys going to auction and yard sales and picked this up for a few dollars at a yard sale when I told him I was drilling jets and trying to mod carbs.

So they are out there....

banjo

The beer is strictly for medicinal purposes.
Helps with digestion lol...
Relieves nervous ticks......

Side effects may cause you to tell the wife what you realy think about things you generaly smile and nod about.........
Love the side effects part thats a good one

I have a big one as well.
A Canadian Blower and Forge weight about 250 pounds if not more.

Never used it though.
It was also a freebie that work was scrapping and I got a pass out for it in 08 I think.

Works well inspite of its age ( 60s ), but its 600v 3 phase.
Not hard to to something about that, just change the motor.
But i will be honest and say I consider the possibilty of building an add a phase and incorperating it into my back up power plans.
Just a bit more wiring and if I find more freebie parts I don't have to spring for an expensive 1 HP single phase motor.

This apears to be the same as my big one.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=10310

Last edited:
I picked up a 1948 Buffalo drill press that came out of a machine shop, it weighs approximate 300 lbs. There was a huge 3 phase motor on it and it had a big steel plate bolted to the top to use as a table. Tossed out the 3 phase motor and table top. Stripped it competely down to clean and repaint. Took the head apart and replaced all the bearings, installed a new motor and it works like a charm, looks great too. They don't make stuff this heavy duty anymore. Do you think a HF drill press will still be usable 60+ years from now, I doubt it. They are barely usable when new.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Ya, that Buffalo is a keeper. Harbor Freight drill presses are good for small holes and wood I suppose but none, even the big, one has a slow enough speed to use anything larger than about a 1/2 drill.

Drill press

Ya, that Buffalo is a keeper. Harbor Freight drill presses are good for small holes and wood I suppose but none, even the big, one has a slow enough speed to use anything larger than about a 1/2 drill.
I have a buddy keeping an eye out for a DC motor for the Buffalo so I can install a speed control. I already have a 3 phase converter in the garage. He has a speed control on his drill press and I was drilling 1" holes thru 3/4 steel and it drilled like a champ at about 60rpm.