Newbie needs help

I got these motors thrown in with the El Tigre I picked up this week. I'm not real sure what horsepower they are, or if any of them are worth fixing up for the bike. The 2 white engines have a pto shafts sticking out. Please help me I'd these. All comments welcome. Thanks!

Tecumseh engines , maybe a couple of HS40's ...probably off snow blowers. The ID numbers should be stamped in to the blower housing covers.

Can the pto shaft be removed?
The little shaft is the cam shaft and yes you can simply cut it off .
You can replace the cam with one that does not have the shaft on it but you would have to plug off the hole in the cover or replace the cover itself.

Last edited:
Yes, it appeared to have an outline of a briggs logo, but I could be very wrong, the I'd number didn't make sense to me on the briggs and stratton chart

Last edited:
When looking at your first picture, the white engine on the left end has a Briggs gas tank. My guess is 5 hp. The other white on in the middle is a 5hp Tecumseh and the red/orange one on the right looks like a 5hp Tecumseh as well.

You asked if they are worth fixing up for minibikes...... ah, no. They are totally worthless. It is best to call me and I'll come and get rid of them for you free of charge :)

Danford1

Michael, I was not sure if it was feasible to use engines with a pto shaft stick out for use on a minibike, but OND suggested, just chopping it off and use as is.

Michael, I was not sure if it was feasible to use engines with a pto shaft stick out for use on a minibike, but OND suggested, just chopping it off and use as is.
I've chopped them off before and it works out great. The snow blower engine are good candidates for minbikes. Most of them only have a few hours on them. The aren't used in dusty dirty environments and usually never ran hot with the nice cold winter air for cooling.
All the ones I had still had excellent compression and when inspected, the cylinder wall looked great.
The shaft is on the end of the cam and it cuts easily with a cutoff wheel, probably even a dremel. If the engine is running it is even faster to cut off. I've never tried it but I guess you could use a hack saw while it is running too.

Danford1