Next...

markus

Late 1968, early 1969. Slanted app so it's probably from a Fox as they were the first to intruduce that concept, is the shaft almost 3" or the standard length?

markus

Thanks Marcus...guy said it was off a fox came with a straight intake...haven’t gotten into it yet...shaft 2 1/4”
Came from a single speed bike then, since its the standard length shaft. slanted intakes were on all up to first quarter of 1971, they used diaphragm carbs to deal with the angle.

Should be a cool motor to play with. Remember, this version shares the head and bolt pattern with the H25-35 and has reduced fin surface area around the head utilizing the full air deflector over the cylinder fins. It will also have (unless its been messed with) a mechanical compression release camshaft with the large intake lobe.

The very early HS40 also had a different radius cut on the crankshaft journal of about .040-.050" in the radius on the early ones. than what became standard, without numbers it would be worth making sure the shaft and rod look like what your used to seeing in later engines, as they noted that replacement crankshafts would come with new connecting rod as well. I have never dealt with one (even on a 1968 engine I redid) but it is noted in my crankshaft literature. I doubt that will be found because your block has a starter lug cast into it, which I believe would make it later in the year if it were 1968, but its worth double checking since your are in fact working with a first year/first version HS, would imagine the radius change effects the way a current cut rod rides on the journal.

Well let’s play the dumb card here...there are no numbers on this motor...any idea what a good number to use for parts searching? Thanks again!

875A31C6-EAB7-4D0F-824A-A226D7BA9355.jpeg 12B911F7-6D3E-464B-8CA3-6526062549C2.jpeg AB1F7624-4885-4CA5-A857-5C47CBD09652.jpeg
Well got may hands back, mostly, and started on this old motor again...new piston billet rod new valves new cut to fit rings....new flywheel the old one was beat up...had to get a new stator plate, point holder busted as seen in photo...didn’t notice until putting new coil on....slide carb hopefully get it running today..