Nibbi PE24 carburetor

Minimichael

Experience indicates that Nibbi sells carbs and jets but not needles. I'm posting this because I've found a certain type of Keihin needle is a great alternative, even if they're a millimeter longer than stock.

The Nibbi PE24 carb will accommodate and run great on needles for the Keihin PE26, PE28, PWK28 and N427-46 carbs.

Just fyi...

Last edited:

Minimichael

How do I know? I put this Nibbi on a 2hp Briggs flathead. But it's way too much carb for that. The slide is so short and fat it may as well be an on/off switch for air fuel mix. It's just all or nothing with this '"racing" carburetor. So here I had an aperture that's huge, and an engine that's tiny. The Nibbi is designed for moving high-rpm-amounts of air but the 2hp Briggs is supposed to idle around 1750 and max out around 3600rpm. But like a knucklehead I went ahead and tried to make it work, and it does – after plenty of reading all about needles, and finally accepting the marriage for what it is.

Like I said it's all or nothing with this carb.... Twist the throttle just a little bit and the aperture opens so wide that air pressure in the carb and manifold just dropped dead, and the engine would just gasp and stumble along until you got going at a decent clip. It was a mismatch from the start...and the block's intake port is even something like 5mm smaller than the carb's output port at the flange. I tapered this with a diy manifold the best I could, and thoroughly tested for the best possible main (118) and pilot jets (42). But the problem remained that the stock needle wouldn't allow enough fuel to counter the massive amount of air suddenly available when the throttle opens. Plus I was having to baby it the whole time. The little 100cc engine just doesn't have the suction power to pull the air through the carb with enough velocity to then pull fuel up out of the needle's housing/hole (aka needle jet/emulsion tube). Not at lower rpms anyway. So I determined I could affect this by changing to a richer needle ...like one that's nearly leaking at idle.

This isn't meant to be a lesson in slide carb theory, as I'm certainly no expert, but suffice it to say needles vary in widths, taper angles and other characteristics, and allow you to enrich or lean out the mixture for various points along the range of throttle twist, and when the slide raises to let more air in the needle starts coming out of its hole and letting gas start coming up, right? So a richer needle is a skinnier needle, and one with a taper/angle that meters gas flow to be either heavy from the start or heavier toward mid- or WOT, or what have you... And my theory was the skinnier the better for the flathead's just beginning to spin up out of its idle rpms.

So while the stock Nibbi needle appeared to be one-size-fits-all, I ultimately found the Keihins mentioned above were the right size and came with a robust variety of needle shapes and sizes within that Keihin PE26/28 category.

The needle I've settled on (46-HFF 017-617) offers a nice rich mix right out of the gates, followed by a slow increase in flow so the mixture hits the spot and both engine and carb respond to each other nicely.

PXL_20220816_053311515~2.jpg

Last edited:
Great info! We’re running the Nibbi PE17 on a 3hp (79cc) Lifan 152F. Fuel signal seems fine only the smallest (88) main jet still seems a tad rich and Nibbi doesn’t list anything smaller. Anyone know if Keihin PE main jets will fit and if they are numbered the same? Or other options? The size from Nibbi’s website doesn’t exactly match anything we’ve found. Thread dia. 4.8 - Thread pitch 0.8 - Head dia. 6mm - 8mm length. Thanks in advance.

Needle actually enters the top of the emulsion tube, which sticks up into the venturi under the slide. The needle restricts flow from the main jet based on throttle opening. The needle is mounted in the slide, and it is tapered to allow more fuel at wider throttle openings.

Minimichael

Some jet vendors have the specs for all kindsa jet brands and models. The ones I'm familiar with are Jets r Us, and Allen's performance.

Last edited:
How do I know? I put this Nibbi on a 2hp Briggs flathead. But it's way too much carb for that. The slide is so short and fat it may as well be an on/off switch for air fuel mix. It's just all or nothing with this '"racing" carburetor. So here I had an aperture that's huge, and an engine that's tiny. The Nibbi is designed for moving high-rpm-amounts of air but the 2hp Briggs is supposed to idle around 1750 and max out around 3600rpm. But like a knucklehead I went ahead and tried to make it work, and it does – after plenty of reading all about needles, and finally accepting the marriage for what it is.

Like I said it's all or nothing with this carb.... Twist the throttle just a little bit and the aperture opens so wide that air pressure in the carb and manifold just dropped dead, and the engine would just gasp and stumble along until you got going at a decent clip. It was a mismatch from the start...and the block's intake port is even something like 5mm smaller than the carb's output port at the flange. I tapered this with a diy manifold the best I could, and thoroughly tested for the best possible main (118) and pilot jets (42). But the problem remained that the stock needle wouldn't allow enough fuel to counter the massive amount of air suddenly available when the throttle opens. Plus I was having to baby it the whole time. The little 100cc engine just doesn't have the suction power to pull the air through the carb with enough velocity to then pull fuel up out of the needle's housing/hole (aka needle jet/emulsion tube). Not at lower rpms anyway. So I determined I could affect this by changing to a richer needle ...like one that's nearly leaking at idle.

This isn't meant to be a lesson in slide carb theory, as I'm certainly no expert, but suffice it to say needles vary in widths, taper angles and other characteristics, and allow you to enrich or lean out the mixture for various points along the range of throttle twist, and when the slide raises to let more air in the needle starts coming out of its hole and letting gas start coming up, right? So a richer needle is a skinnier needle, and one with a taper/angle that meters gas flow to be either heavy from the start or heavier toward mid- or WOT, or what have you... And my theory was the skinnier the better for the flathead's just beginning to spin up out of its idle rpms.

So while the stock Nibbi needle appeared to be one-size-fits-all, I ultimately found the Keihins mentioned above were the right size and came with a robust variety of needle shapes and sizes within that Keihin PE26/28 category.

The needle I've settled on (46-HFF 017-617) offers a nice rich mix right out of the gates, followed by a slow increase in flow so the mixture hits the spot and both engine and carb respond to each other nicely.

View attachment 301927

Hi

@Minimichael I've got some n427-46 needles for my pe26 Nibbi but the very top diameter of the Nibbi needle is about 2.8mm whilst the Keihin are only 2.5-2.6ish so the needle is quite loose. Is yours the same as this? No issues running the needle that loose?

Minimichael

I believe I was aware of that. But the very top where the clip goes isn't really in play. I was also reaching for a richer needle for early throttle, so that would equate to a narrower shaft in the higher part of the needle anyway. Have you tried it yet?