Niquels' - Doodlebug Build - (Chinese Class)

This is going to be a Doodlebug build with a predator 212 and 3D clutch. I'm excited to see how the clutch performs, it seems like a lot of people are adding it to their builds. Today we yanked the old motor out and it looks like there are already holes drilled to accommodate the predator (can anyone confirm that the extra holes are not from the factory?). The predator hasn't been bolted down yet (I need to run to the hardware store) but it seems like I won't need to be drilling any motor mount holes.

IMG_20170117_201636321.jpg
IMG_20170117_221659893.jpg
IMG_20170117_221832300.jpg

More updates to come :) - Matthew

Good luck and Thanks for participating. Yes those holes are factory..on the first generation DB they had them holes in the motor plates.

Cool , yep first Gen DB , I just sold one to a member , you'll also note the are no stops for the forks ( turning forks right or left )

After a run to Home Depot the new predator engine is bolted down, it looks like the chain lines up perfectly with the clutch :) The old brake lever has been removed and replaced with the new clutch lever. I think tomorrow will be the first test run once the chain has been fitted/adjusted (maybe I will get the brakes in order too :) ).
IMG_20170119_214104076.jpg
IMG_20170119_220845184.jpg

Didn't end up getting the chain 100% adjusted today, we couldn't find the master links so that will have to wait until tomorrow. We mostly ended up just doing some riding on the other mini bikes :)

I started to mock up a chain guard (I didn't really do much..). Luckily tomorrow is Saturday so there is plenty of time to have fun building/riding :)

IMG_20170120_215903372.jpg

You planning on using a foot pedal for the brake or going with another lever on the throttle side?
I was thinking about doing a foot pedal brake, but for the next step I'm going to be doing a hand brake lever on the throttle side. If I decide to do a front brake then I will be doing a foot brake for the rear and hand brake for the front :)

Last edited:
Please let us know how that 3D racing clutch works.

That's sweet that the first gen DB 30's have holes drilled and slotted for 6.5hp Honda/clone engines. Maybe you could trace these on a piece of 8.5x11 printer paper and then upload it on here as a printable "sticky" for other members to use. But first, that 3D clutch review lol :)

Please let us know how that 3D racing clutch works.

That's sweet that the first gen DB 30's have holes drilled and slotted for 6.5hp Honda/clone engines. Maybe you could trace these on a piece of 8.5x11 printer paper and then upload it on here as a printable "sticky" for other members to use. But first, that 3D clutch review lol :)
I will do that! Another forum member send me a private message asking for the bolt pattern, so I will make that info public.

Daniel Coop

Welcome to the game my friend! Glad to see some fresh competition. I love my DB30S... Only regret is finishing it just before the Build-Off, and not being able to compete with it. Definitely interested in that clutch too! I had thought about trying it on my DB but knew nothing about it and it was a little pricey.

Don't think it'd be a good fit for my daughter's Motovox though. I don't want to complicate things and make it more difficult to ride for her... How does that work anyway? Is there different speeds?

That is a sharp looking Doodlebug! I like the forks a lot.. I was thinking about painting mine white but I think I settled on something else (not going to spoil it :) ).

How does that work anyway? Is there different speeds?
You can think about it like a motorcycle/car with just neutral and one gear, so there is just one speed. It allows for the engine and back sprocket to be "directly connected" meaning you can engine-brake when you let off the gas, you can bump start the bike by giving it a push and dropping the clutch (releasing it), and I have heard that you can do wheelies/burnouts too :)

The bike is currently at my buddies so I'm not working on it/seeing it every day, next time I'm over his place I'm going to get a nice bolt-pattern diagram and post it up here, and hopefully I will get the chain on and take it for a ride and see how the clutch performs first-hand!

I have some go fast parts (intake, carb, and header) hopefully being delivered sometime this week :) I still need to figure out what jets (if any) I need to order for the carb (it's the VM 22 "mikuni" carb).

I have some go fast parts (intake, carb, and header) hopefully being delivered sometime this week :) I still need to figure out what jets (if any) I need to order for the carb (it's the VM 22 "mikuni" carb).
Before the mob starts, you should add billet flywheel and rod to that list. Clone engine fly wheels are dangerous at high RPMs and rods are the other weak link after modifications. Just a heads up - I'm sure you'll hear more about it soon.

As for the carb... I can't help you there. It's something I had planned for my build but with the exchange rate now (73 cents = $1 USD :glare:) I'm going to have to wait.

Before the mob starts, you should add billet flywheel and rod to that list. Clone engine fly wheels are dangerous at high RPMs and rods are the other weak link after modifications. Just a heads up - I'm sure you'll hear more about it soon.

As for the carb... I can't help you there. It's something I had planned for my build but with the exchange rate now (73 cents = $1 USD :glare:) I'm going to have to wait.
Thanks for heads up/concern. The flywheel and rod are on my list of things to buy (as well as valve/exhaust springs). I didn't plan on attaching the carb until I had the internals squared away.