No spark on H50 and no wires to the points

This may sound foolish but I have never seen ignition like this before. This old H50-65378K, s/n 3067R does not have any wires connected to the points? Dad says he had this old tiller running years ago but, one spring it did not start. He claims he just parked it and forgot it but…………. ( He doesn’t remember taking it apart or working on it, but…..)

Anyway, I pulled the flywheel and it has internal points. The condenser wire had been cut and taped off and the coil wire is run to a small, 1 ½” square solid state? module that is mounted to the sheet metal shroud. The coil ground wire goes to the mounting screw that holds the condenser. But, there are no wires hooked to the points?? Can this run this way?

There is no spark at the plug and I expected to check the points and condenser but I have never seen anything like this before so I am stumped. Thank you for any enlightenment that you can offer.

Yes, that is what I am used to seeing but this coil wire goes to that strange solid state thing. I will get a photo and see if there are any identifying marks on it. This old machine has no other wires on it anywhere. It has the metal tab to use to ground the top of the spark plug to stop the motor.

If it’s attached to the points stud via red plastic (same as in the photo above) it’s probably original and just pull it all and replace points and condenser and you’ll be fine..my coil was good so I put a connector on it and reattached to new points....those are my favorite “kill” switches on the motors...no questioning if it’s working or not....

Last edited:
Hi Skipp; Below is what I found on that weird solid state part. It's all new to me. Eliminates the points. Maybe that is the correct wiring? I wonder if there is a way to test this module? I will attach some photos.
  • Electronic ignition module

Patent number: 5058543

Abstract: An electronic ignition module for an internal-combustion engine that is supplied with sparking energy from a rotating magnet includes a switchable semiconductor device through which current in the primary of an ignition coil is to be conducted. A portion of a circuit in the module senses a time when voltage across the semiconductor device approaches a maximum value, and produces a signal at that time that switches the semiconductor device out of conduction. A positive-feedback circuit is connected to increase the switching speed of the semiconductor device. The semiconductor device is protected against AC voltages of a polarity opposite to that of the conducting direction of the semiconductor device, and is caused to advance switching time in response to increased voltages associated with high engine speed. A temperature-sensitive resistor performs temperature compensation on the module in response to the temperature of a hot engine to permit restart of the engine if it is stopped briefly.

Type: Grant

Filed: October 23, 1990

Date of Patent: October 22, 1991

Assignee: Sten's Lawnmower Parts, Inc.

Inventor: Gary Eck

Attachments

delray

I aways wanted to try one of them. but there just like points they can burn up after time and the a good set of Tecumseh points are good and consistent up to at least 8000+ rpm's.
still like to try a set someday....:scooter: maybe on my next hot rod engine.