non rubber brake band.

Mac

Don't you just hate that.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking
when they lined the band brakes with rubber.

gbabins1

Maybe I'm missing something... I installed a band/clutch brake on one of my mini's, and it stops ok but way short of locking up the rear wheel. I have it adjusted close to, but not touching the clutch... but it won't lock 'em up. Is there anything else I could do to make it grab better.... ie: scuff the outside drum of the clutch :shrug:

Maybe I'm missing something... I installed a band/clutch brake on one of my mini's, and it stops ok but way short of locking up the rear wheel. I have it adjusted close to, but not touching the clutch... but it won't lock 'em up. Is there anything else I could do to make it grab better.... ie: scuff the outside drum of the clutch :shrug:
SHow a picture of your setup. Could be the angle its pulling from, you might need to change the setup to pull differently. I know I just put one on my DB also and it will lock it up for a 20ft slide if I want, so I adjusted the cable to pull less. But looking thru pictures opinions varied from where the cable should go. Just my thoughts:thumbsup::scooter:

I'll try to post some pictures later...
Here's a link to what mine kind of looks like but flip it 180 (Mr.Moose's first picture)
The brake is pulling from the same direction though... from the bottom up. Any idea what could be wrong/ incorrect?
Im no expert, just speaking from ive done and learned. Mine is setup alomost just like the pic of mooses'. Flip 180, you mean your cable is in front of the clutch? That might be the problem, its spinning is forcing the band open, maybe? Again im no expert, and I may have misunderstood what you meant by 180. Hope this helps.

Here is a pic of mine before I put a new band and fine tuned it a bit.

I have a clutch brake band on my wife's bike, and it works way too well. I'm actually going to change it to a hydraulic disk setup for a doodlebug because it will surprise you if you aren't ready.

Mine is setup so the rotation of the clutch pulls the band tighter. That is the key. The band itself is the rubber one from Northern Tool.

I have a clutch brake band on my wife's bike, and it works way too well. I'm actually going to change it to a hydraulic disk setup for a doodlebug because it will surprise you if you aren't ready.

Mine is setup so the rotation of the clutch pulls the band tighter. That is the key. The band itself is the rubber one from Northern Tool.
if its working way too well than you should flip it around so it wont lock up. i had to to that on my tandem bike now it works perfect
gbabins if you have your band brake on the wheel where the gearing isnt multiplying the force than the band brake might not work so good

I rode 2 MTD's this week...both with identical factory rear wheel band brake setups....one stops on a dime and the other won't stop for crap...:confused:

I think sometimes the band gets glazed from heat and it severly affects it's effectiveness.....say that 5 time fast!!

gbabins1

Im no expert, just speaking from ive done and learned. Mine is setup alomost just like the pic of mooses'. Flip 180, you mean your cable is in front of the clutch? That might be the problem, its spinning is forcing the band open, maybe? Again im no expert, and I may have misunderstood what you meant by 180. Hope this helps.

Here is a pic of mine before I put a new band and fine tuned it a bit.
[/QUO

You are correct, the cable is in the front of the clutch. So maybe you're right. I'll flip it around and see if that helps... it totally makes sense :doah:

Dave: What do you mean " The band itself is the rubber one from Northern Tool" what is rubber on them? Do you mean the pad itself?

jeep2003: Yeah I guess maybe I put it on backwards :shrug: it appears the force of the clutch would be trying to "open" the brake :doah:

KK: "I think sometimes the band gets glazed from heat and it severly affects it's effectiveness"

That's what I was thinking.... maybe I needed to scuff the inside of the brake pad or the outside of the clutch housing :shrug: But I'll flip it around and see if that helps. This is my first time really messing with a clutch style band brake... so live & learn I guess :doah: But if I can get it to work well it I can use this method on some of my other mini's :thumbsup:

Mine is a metal band that is lined with rubber. The rubber is the friction surface that rubs on the clutch.

The other thing I don't like about the setup is to get the brake to work good, you have to adjust the band pretty tight on the clutch so you get a good squeeze on it. When you do, you will find the clutch will rub on the band while riding, which quickly burns the rubber up.

definetly want to turn your setup around so when the brake is applied it wants to self- wind the band tighter not unwind it....:thumbsup:

I think we've all made that mistake at one time .....:rolleyes:

gbabins1

I figured something had to be wrong... everyone was saying how well their's work / locking up the rear ... and I had to apply ape like force to just slow mine down :doah:

gotta say iv never seen a rubber band brake. always either a regular brake pad type of material or a woven aspestos cloth . but then i get all of mine from lawn tractors and such so who knows