noob with ratio/jackshaft questions

Ok...so i'm building a chopper out of an old Arctic cat frame. 60tooth rear sprocket, clutch has 12teeth. I'm going to run a jack-shaft so I can keep the engine centered (6.5 clone) what do you suggest for teeth on the 2 jack-shaft sprockets. I'm lost on how to figure that into the ratios

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. Depending on how I arrange the jack shaft sprockets I'll end up around 5/6:1. Is that a decent ratio for cruising around and still have decent power/acceleration?

Oldsalt

For a pit bike I'd want lots of low end. You will be starting and stopping often with no high end ever used. 7 or 8 to 1?

cxbra

D, heres a small lesson in jackshaft ratios... say youre running 12/60 (5:1 ratio). If you put a jackshaft on that has say 10 teeth on the input and 10 teeth on the output is is EXACTLY the same as running a 12/60 ratio since they cancel each other out. Same with if you had a 12/60 ratio and added a 20t on the jackshaft input and a 20t on the output it would be the same 5:1 ratio. Now when your jackshaft sprockets are different teeth sizes then you'll have to do some calculating. My tip doesnt help much, but it really helped me out in understanding ratios.