Noresman Sportster S-66, Rocco Products Inc. Minnesota Info??

Eliminator

Just picked up this antique mini bike, sorta scooter up off of local craigs last night..
I found out what it was on the U.S. scooter museum site and even found some original literature for them on evilbay.

Anybody out there have one or ever seen one?? It has a contracting band brake operated by pedal and the throttle is a pedal set up as well. Any idea what years they were sold? I'm going with right around 1959-63 or so.. That seems to be right around when a lot of this style American scooter into the mini bike era seem to have been made from my experience. Any input, specs,photos or literature etc would be great...

Attachments

Norseman Sportster

VMBC 2013 Sunday 063.JPG Here is the one I sold. Original paint. New Owner dropped a Briggs model 23 into it. I have a 1960 brochure with this scooter shown.

They also made a neat twin engine utility cart. One engine on each rear wheel, similar to the twin karts of the day. They later made a mini bike with a similar fork and handle bars.

Just picked up this antique mini bike, sorta scooter up off of local craigs last night..
I found out what it was on the U.S. scooter museum site and even found some original literature for them on evilbay.

Anybody out there have one or ever seen one?? It has a contracting band brake operated by pedal and the throttle is a pedal set up as well. Any idea what years they were sold? I'm going with right around 1959-63 or so.. That seems to be right around when a lot of this style American scooter into the mini bike era seem to have been made from my experience. Any input, specs,photos or literature etc would be great...
Still have this? Or any literature?

I still have some literature, although not the brochures pictured. Later model scooters were sold under the name "Apache". They also made a smaller mini bike model. Rocco was a fairly large kart manufacturer in Minneapolis.

Attachments

I see the bike in the last pic, ad it looks smaller than the one I have. The article accompanying the photo said a 2.5 Briggs was used. Do you know if a bigger motor was ever used? The motor in it now is a Clinton so it sould be changed.
Have you ever seen lights on one?

The Sportster and Apache had 6" wheels. The Sportster ad sheet shown above is part of a page in a kart brochure dated 1960. It states that it has a rugged 4 cycle engine, your choice of popular makes. I have a 1964 Mechanics Illustrated ad for a Norseman Inc. compact scooter in kit form less engine for $59.95. It has 4" wheels. Note that the Apache was made in Wisconsin. The front fender on mine was fiberglass. In the early 60s most states began adding requirements for scooters to be street legal. Minimum height of seat, minimum diameter of tires, minimum lighting, etc. Scooters like the Sportster went out of production since you couold no longer ride them on the street.

Last edited:
The Sportster and Apache had 6" wheels. The Sportster ad sheet shown above is part of a page in a kart brochure dated 1960. It states that it has a rugged 4 cycle engine, your choice of popular makes. I have a 1964 Mechanics Illustrated ad for a Norseman Inc. compact scooter in kit form less engine for $59.95. It has 4" wheels. Note that the Apache was made in Wisconsin. The front fender on mine was fiberglass. In the early 60s most states began adding requirements for scooters to be street legal. Minimum height of seat, minimum diameter of tires, minimum lighting, etc. Scooters like the Sportster went out of production since you could no longer ride them on the street.
Norseman Sportster.jpg

Last edited:
Still have this or any literature?
Hello Skunk...
I still have that Norseman. Maybe something I should sell as have way tooooo many projects.. I sent you a message...
Hello Dick...
I had what I belive was a black step through frame apache with some kind of flat bed side car on it... Definately was newer than the red Norseman..

Someone updated it with a Honda engine. I did not know what it was at the time. I think I posted photos on this site but can't find the shots..

Hi would you like to sell the Literature for that bike?