NOT so new old stock?!? Help!

novadose74

I just purchased this Rupp driven clutch. It was advertised as “ unbelievably New” condition. What do you think? I’m very sickened over this. Please give me your thoughts. Tom E8AEBC17-AFC8-42E7-9D96-7C9F8E5D01C8.jpeg E8AEBC17-AFC8-42E7-9D96-7C9F8E5D01C8.jpeg 4583A008-72F6-42E1-BD62-9B7C4BACD169.jpeg 34A692DC-E25B-4903-945F-86D244288B8F.jpeg A57A7ADA-DEAF-44F5-B5A0-83E17C2B66F1.jpeg

I'd say the seller was intentionally misleading prospective buyers, or has no clue as to what wear looks like.
(I'm leaning toward the former.)

Roger

kayde

I had a rupp driver that looked way worse than yours, with no other options at the moment i put it on.

Occasionally it would hang open.

So took it back off i found some burrs on the peice that holds the weights, with a bit of filing, some sanding then a cleaning and lubing.
I thought it worked pretty good after all that.
I later on replaced it with a nos fairbanks driver i found at a local mower shop.
It wasnt identical too the rupp driver but worked all the same.
I couldnt tell a difference between the two.

capguncowboy

I had a rupp driver that looked way worse than yours, with no other options at the moment i put it on.

Occasionally it would hang open.

So took it back off i found some burrs on the peice that holds the weights, with a bit of filing, some sanding then a cleaning and lubing.
I thought it worked pretty good after all that.
I later on replaced it with a nos fairbanks driver i found at a local mower shop.
It wasnt identical too the rupp driver but worked all the same.
I couldnt tell a difference between the two.
Once upon a time someone posted that Fairbanks Morse made the Rupp units, but I've never been able to confirm that anywhere.

OP, If you're not happy, then let the seller know. It'll come down to you and him working it out.

Itype2slo

I am pretty sure the sheaves are stamped rupp, But maybe they bought them from Fairbanks. I bought one on ebay many years ago for pretty cheap, All was good , Sheaves, Bushings, Bearing, washers & spring, Except for the outer weight bracket was smaller than all the other rupps I had or have. It barely fit and engaged immediately. I had another to swap out but I never figured what it really came from. Those sheaves look beat but to be honest everyone I have seen has some kind of wear. I agree if you can't live with it hash it out with the seller.

ruppking

A lot of E-Bay sellers have no idea what NOS means.
New Old Stock.
That one is obviously used. But it is in pretty good shape for used.

kayde

I didnt mean too mislead anyone on rupp drivers being made by fairbanks,
i just assumed since they look and operate so similarly.
Being kinda a newbie in the mini bike world i shouldnt make such assumptions.

Anyone claiming that driver is nos is being deceptive and surely knows they provided false information.

Im intrested in the outcome of your ordeal.

Anyone not familiar with the wear points on those clutches could easily think its nearly new. Its clean and not all messed up id say he wasnt trying to screw anybody. I know its upsetting to receive something way worse than expected but not everyone knows all about what they are selling. If they are selling it its because they have no use for it.

JohnC

I am the guy who sold the Torque Converter. An I have no problem letting everyone know it was me. I honestly thought it was never used. I was informed that he made this post before ever contacting me. An sent him a message on ebay saying he was more than welcome to send it back and I will give him a refund. I was shocked at how nice it looked and thought it had to be new. I had no intentions to get over on anyone and ruin my name for 100 bucks. An if he isn't happy I will refund him the money. As soon as I receive the part in the same condition as it left. I trully feel like the auction shows pretty good pictures of the converter. I never looked into as deep as he did. That's pretty much all I can do. An again I apologize to him for any inconvenience.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113798883893