Official db30 stock top speed.

Hopefully my post didn't sound like some Johnny Come Lately trying to brag. I'm just going off what my speedo says. I don't have a GPS, but I have and iPhone and I think I can purchase an APP that does that. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the feed back and insight. I love my little bike. Still cruising around the neighborhood with my 2 year old everyday. :thumbsup:
I dont think it was taken that way. But we do get a few 10-20 year olds (joshhoward and jesse8931 to name a couple :lol: no really there a couple Out of closet) that say "my mini was doing 50 yesterday" to find out its stock and it was going 25. The DB in its stock form is not usually that fast. I do find that riding Mini's in general make it seem way faster than your going.

Last edited:
So my curiosity was peaking this afternoon thinking that the new speedo I put on my Baja Blitz was a POS and I had wasted $5 on it. I took the advice I got here and downloaded a GPS based Speedometer on my iPhone. Seems two different types of Speedometers are either broken or junk, or my little "Intact Govenor" 2.8 HP motor really can do 33 MPH with me on it alone with my head down and wide open. :thumbsup:

So my curiosity was peaking this afternoon thinking that the new speedo I put on my Baja Blitz was a POS and I had wasted $5 on it. I took the advice I got here and downloaded a GPS based Speedometer on my iPhone. Seems two different types of Speedometers are either broken or junk, or my little "Intact Govenor" 2.8 HP motor really can do 33 MPH with me on it alone with my head down and wide open. :thumbsup:
Hmmm sounds like you have a one in a million bike. I could only get our old stock one to 28mph with the governor disabled. That's wide open on flat ground, no mods to the intake of exhaust.
Do you know what the rear tooth count is? I know there where 2 different counts a 70 and 64 I think.

Last edited:
Look, I am old and mature enough to not try and BS you boys on here. It is blarringly obvious to me that many of you know way more than I do about minibikes and I am an admitted novice with a new minibike. As I mentioned before, I am not trying to be some Johnny-Come-Lately. Here is what I know. When I first bought this minibike, I changed he oil in it before I ever started it up (replaced with 10w-30 Dino). I have done that often ever since. My bike was really slow, maybe 12-15 MPH tops and I was fine with it. I was clueless about doing anything to make it faster for at least 3 weeks. Then I found this board. The only modification I made to the engine was to adjust the thottle adjustment screw to nealy wide open. Probably have 3 threads left. I couldn't believe how much faster that made my bike. IF not for being the owner of a Honda CRF450, it would have been scarey fast. At any rate, I got curious and purchased a cheap speedo (Bike Bicycle LCD Cycle Computer Odometer Speedometer - eBay (item 160305540501 end time Jun-15-09 23:55:42 PDT)) on Ebay and installed it to the exact specifications using an exact measurement of the circumference of my front tire. I am confident that it is working properly and is accurate to within a MPH or so. It has clocked me at 30 MPH for several different test runs. Again, my 60 LBS boy has taken it to 35 MPH. Well after some of you questioned the accuracy yesterday, I got curious and was wondering if my cheep Speedo was exactly that. So I downloaded and iPhone Application called "SPEED-O-METER" on my iphone. The information says it uses the iPhones GPS technology to calibrate speed to within +/- 1 MPH. So last night I took it out on my mini. While holding it in my left hand, and subsequently within and inch or so of my cheep speedo, I began making test runs in my neighborhood. I live in AZ and pretty much every street is flat. But, to be sure I traveled both ways on the same streets. My top speed as recorded on the GPS device was 33 MPH. It was only there for 2-3 seconds so I wouldn't say that is a cruising speed at all. However, 31 MPH was fairly managable for long stretches of rides. BTW, the cheep speedo was as accurate as the GPS each time I checked the speed.

So, guys, unless I am doing something wrong here, or both of these devices are defective at exactly the same thing, my "in-tact govenor" 2.8 DB30 will go 33 MPH with a 188 LBS male on it. I'd say that to be most accurate, the bike has a cruising top speed of about 31 MPH, just to be safe. :thumbsup:

PS - I have a screen shot picture of the Speedometer, but I am too clueless to figure out how to post up a picture on this site.

we're not saying your bullshitting us, it's just that we haven't heard of a stock DB going that fast and are trying to figure out how/why it does.

Hmmm sounds like you have a one in a million bike. I could only get our old stock one to 28mph with the governor disabled. That's wide open on flat ground, no mods to the intake of exhaust.
Do you know what the rear tooth count is? I know there where 2 different counts a 72 and 64 I think.
In the humblest way possible, I think you are right. And, yes, wide open, flat ground, no mods to intake or exhaust. I just checked the rear sprocket and it says "HJ70" stamped on it. I am assuming that means it has 70 teeth. Both tire have 20LBS in them. Stock moto tread design on front and 15x6x6 Turf Saver on back.

we're not saying your bullshitting us, it's just that we haven't heard of a stock DB going that fast and are trying to figure out how/why it does.

You and me both Pal! That's why I posted this up here. I was a little surprised at the speed after hearing that they only go 25MPH tops.

If someone could explain to me how I get a picture from my hard drive to this website, I'd be more than happy to take several pictures of my bike for further observation.

you have a 70t rear sprocket.

the easiest way to post pics here is to upload them as an attachment.

if you look below the box where you type in a reply (at the bottom of this page) you'll see a button that says "Go Advanced". click on that and it will take you to the reply page. scroll down to where it says "Additional Options" and there will be a "Manage Attachments" button. click that and it will bring up a pop-up window. then just click "browse" and find the pic on your hard drive and then click "upload". you can only do one pic at a time (up to 5 in one post). it's basically like adding an attachment to an email. after the pics are uploaded, just post as you normally would. they'll show up as thumbnails at the bottom of your post. you can also click "preview post" before submitting the post to make sure it worked.

Now I wish I had the stock motor still in one of my DB's. I want to see if I was floating valves or they where not adjusted right when I did 28mph.

Also his turf saver tire helps a bit. Its larger over all diameter.

I do have to say one thing for sure. Your governor is not working correctly. LOL

Here is my one in a million Baja Blitz. The first pic is my iPhone Speedometer. Notice the top speed in fine print at the bottom. Too difficult to take a screen shot and drive the bike at the same time so the speed drop a bit. The second is my cheep speedo. It is nearly identical to the GPS all the time. I trust is so long as they are both functioning correctly. The other three are just pictures of this fabulous little ride of mine. Let me know if you want to see more photos of things you may feel will disprove that the bike goes this fast. :thumbsup:

Oops! Looks like you'll have to click on the iphone picture.

Last edited:
Sorry, I posted the wrong pic of the iPhone. It only shows top speed of 32 mph. This one shows 33 mph.

All I can say is I got lucky. Wondering if braking the engine in at slow speed for 3 weeks of riding has anything to do with it.

BTW - Thanks Strigoi for properly instructing me in picture attaching.

possible. 33kph is 20.51mph. :smile:
Fellas! I am an admitted novice to minibikes, but I assure you that I know how to set and callibrate a speedometer. Both units have a MPH/KPH setting. Both are set to MPH. I have triple checked them both. What? Do I have to take a picture of the iPhone's Speedo with my truck speedo at the same time before you will beleive? Keep in mind, I am not trying to throw this in anyone's face. Heaven knows there are a lot faster bikes than mine on here. I am just as surprised as the next guy that this thing is as fast as it is. I assure you that I am not going 20 mph. As I have been thinking this over the past couple of days, I am starting to wonder if what Vette said about the govener not working. In all honesty, I do not know how to disable the govenor and have not done anything to the engine itself exept change the oil, adjust the throttle screw and the choke. I am running straight 92 octaine from Chevron. It does seem like the motor has a top level that it will run at (govenored?). I'm gonna get my boy out on it today and see if he can get it to 36 mph (head down, low fuel, 20lbs per tire). I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

try plugging the numbers in this. if the governor is still working it should be running around 3600rpm. at least you could figure out what rpm you're roughly turning.

go-kart racing Gear Ratio Calculator
I'd be happy to. Could you give me a little help on this one? How do I know what to input?

BTW, my boy couldn't get it to go 36 mph after several tries. The fastest the digital speedo reading was 35.7 mph. Also, I set the cruise control on my SUV to 45 and checked the GPS on my iPhone. It was dead on.

Last edited:
engine gear = amount of teeth on the clutch. i think it's 12 on the stock clutch
axle gear = rear sprocket. it's 70 teeth on yours
tire circumfrence = you'll have to measure it. that's around the outside or how far the tire travels in one revolution.
rpm = put it at 3600rpm and go up from there to see what it's turning to get the mph that you're doing.