Offset Timing Key Question

Is there value in using an offset timing key with my setup? Predator 212 hemi with stage 1 intake/exhaust kit, governor removed, billet flywheel, centrifugal clutch. The engine internals are stock. It will see some short flat track race use. I may make other improvements later, but for now it is what it is. Using the search feature led me to a few mentions of the offset timing key, but no clear answer if there's any benefit when used with stock cam timing, etc.

delray

tom if you really want to take advantage of your timing and billet rod, you will want to install a stiffer spring. I would think 16 pound would work or even a 18 pound. just don't go over that. you might chew up the stock cam. I believe they are not harden very well? and make sure the bike is geared correct so it is pulling about 5000+ right before you let up on it when going back into the corner. you did say you want to run it on a short track. I don't think it will pull much more power beyond that with a stock cam. I'm sure other people will chem in and start to tell you buy a race cam...etc... but that's not what your asking really.
just stick with the basic's first and see how you like it and you can always go back and do more improvements if want?
sounds like fun......:scooter:

I concur with Delray and OND , it's 32 degree already not sure why it came with off-set key as I've never seen that . Any ways yes go 18lb springs and yes it can flat spot a stock cam , get your hands on a real Honda GX200 cam if you can , if not put the springs and let her rip !

18lb springs are questionable with a hemi due to tighter install height. Should be fine with the stock cam but be sure to check coil clearance at max lift. Don’t use offset key.

delray

Yes, it's an ARC, straight from OldMiniBikes, and it came w/an 8º off set key.
that is kind of weird you got a off set keyway with a billet flywheel. unless you have one of the old ones. need to check your flywheel and see if it is engrave with 32 degrees on it. if so do not use that off set keyway. pull your stock keyway out of your engine and use that one and don't forget to lap your flywheel to your crank with little valve lapping compound. that is a must to do...

delray

be cautious when purchasing valve springs for a hemi. like ole4 said the spring height on a hemi is shorter. if you put a regular clone spring in it.... your done. my first choice of spring would be a 16 pound on a stock cam. long as you don't have any coil bind with them you will be good to go and at 5000+ rpm's you won't float the valve. stock spring you might get little valve bounce? also i'm just going to throw this out at you too since you have to take the head off. maybe little porting in the bowls only and it won't hurt to mill just little off the head(option) and that will not affect your push rod length. it's all free extra power.
still sounds like a lot fun....:scooter:

delray

ok,from what I understand from arc racing the hemi exhaust valve spring height can be little shorter from factory(china) and with you installing a 18 pound spring , you now have created a much stiffer spring. if I am correct the honda cam is not harden very well either. you might want to look at your spring heights one more time? also that spring looks to be a animal spring. maybe something else to think about is purchasing a 16 pound animal spring. if indeed the spring heights are correct. sorry I don't know off hand what the hemi is from factory? .800+ or so? help me out ole4 not a hemi guy. actually i'm chevy guy that's a whole nother story...lol
I know in the pass when I have purchase animal springs from dynocams they had a animal spring they say it was only rates at about 15+. that might be the stock briggs animal spring they are talking about? I run that on a stock Tecumseh cam and that turn's about 5000 rpm's. all day and no problems....yet 3years+...lol also that only has a 200 lift and the stock honda/clone cam is about 230-240 lift.
I have also seen a spring that they use in a gokart class that's rated at 10.5 don't know much about that spring? might be another option?

that is kind of weird you got a off set keyway with a billet flywheel. unless you have one of the old ones. need to check your flywheel and see if it is engrave with 32 degrees on it. if so do not use that off set keyway. pull your stock keyway out of your engine and use that one and don't forget to lap your flywheel to your crank with little valve lapping compound. that is a must to do...
Some damn good info in here! Way to go folks! I think Tom is setting up a younger guy 14 years old, to run one of his bikes in this upcoming event.
Thank you all. This is the info I was looking for. In the many OldMiniBikes threads and You Tube videos that I've looked at, there is almost nothing said about offset keys. The ARC flywheel is engraved to say 32º advance. It came from OldMiniBikes w/the offset key included but no info on when you'd want to use it. I'll stay w/the stock key for now.

The local indoor flat track is having a big event on Feb. 8/9, and there will be a class for pull-start mini bikes. There is only one rule, it must be pull-start. Because there is normally almost no minibike racing in this area and none at this track, it will be a fresh start for everyone. My plan for success is to put a fast, light rider on the bike and give him the benefit of total throttle control via governor removal w/billet flywheel for safety. The stage I kit was just a little icing on the cake. I'm not motivated right now to dig deeper w/billet connecting rod, cam, springs, porting, etc.

The track is big for an indoor circuit, wide, and banked at each end. They also race cage carts and dwarf cars here. 220 yards? Maybe, but most likely a bit smaller than that. I have 12/60 gearing and 6" wheels.

The young man whom I've engaged to ride it is no beginner. He's very experienced and really fast on 85cc and 250cc flat track bikes.

The races will be televised live nationwide on fanschoice.tv on Saturday, Feb. 9, 6-9 pm, PST.

fanschoice.tv