Ogy's Fox Campus Restore

buckeye

Another great thread!! Ones like these keep me coming back!! Thanks Buck!!..... and Ogy......above and beyond work as usual!! The Foxes aren't the only ones that are getting a much needed and well deserved overhaul!! Glad to hear that you are on the mend!!!! :thumbsup:

You are welcome.
I knew there were many that would appreciate what a crafsman Ogy is.
Exact factory replicas.

WLB

Ogy, the bikes are great but your shop is just awesome:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: As fistfullabar said, more pictures please.

Ogy and ReapersRide, my son and I may be able to help with a mold. We have not been able to find a suitable building to move into so we are redoing our small 30 by 60 shop so we can have our CNC mill and turning center set up there. Hunting season is near, so to be realistic, it will probably be the first of the year before we can make chips. We are in Indianapolis. Our shop doesn't look anything like Ogy's:laugh::laugh:

Thank you for the entertaining and informative reply Orgy.
I am attempting to clean up a couple of the Fox Spokes Wheeled Minis.
I can't really call them restorations due to the fact of the boot issue.
Also I have yet to acquire correct vintage engines.
I currently have a Fox Condor, a Faux Fox TT I got on ebay and a frame and fork with a scrambler gas tank.
My son did a great drawing form a pieced together boot I have.
We did submit it to a local rubber production company.
They want a lot to reproduce them in a rubber exactly the same as my sample.
But I will have to buy 300 units for them to do a first run, I only need 6.
Even if I were fortunate to come up with the initial investment I doubt that I be able to get my money back .
Now for my thought...
I was wonder if I could somehow make plaster inner molds and plasti dip them.
Yes I know it will be difficult to keep the round shape.
Also my sample might not be able to handle being subjected to being plaster casted more then once.
So that is what holds me up as far as my Fox Minis.
Reaper
Reaper, That's exactly the problem I ran into. Most machine shops politely tell you to get lost unless you're willing to pay an exorbitant amount to have the mold made. And most manufacturers don't consider it profitable unless you order a thousand pieces or more. With regards to your plaster idea; I have the following thoughts. Because the boots are hollow; it is necessary to make a three piece mold. This consists of a top half and a bottom half (cope and drag) and a free floating core so that the rubber can flow around this core and form a hollow boot. Because of the temperatures involved these molds are generally made out of aluminum. If I remember correctly the core is inserted into the bottom half of the mold along with a chunk of rubber. The top half is then put in place and the entire assembly is put in a hydraulic press under tons of pressure and heated to 400 degrees or somewhere around there. This allows the rubber to become elastic and flow around the core and into the recesses of the surrounding mold. When it comes out of the press the mold is disassembled and compressed air is used to expand the rubber in order to remove the core. And viola you have a rubber fork boot. I'm positive that a plaster mold would not withstand both the pressure and the heat. Your idea for a plaster mold with a plasti-dip liner a is a good one for castings that didn't require severe heat and pressure though. I'm going to PM you with some other thoughts. Ogy