Oil vent tube

I have this 5hp briggs engine and it had a tube going from the plate covering the valve springs back to the carb. I switched to a 16mm slide carb so what do I do with that hole? Do I need to run a catch can?

old shed finds

I have this 5hp briggs engine and it had a tube going from the plate covering the valve springs back to the carb. I switched to a 16mm slide carb so what do I do with that hole? Do I need to run a catch can?
That system was more less pollution control it was more less design to burn crankcase vapors. .
Try to find the vapor vent tube off a 60102 2hp and snap it in your valve cover. .

old shed finds

It will be fine just search 2hp Briggs crankcase vent tube on ebay and solve the problem.the 2hp and 5 HP have the same size hole for the grommet end.it just pops in the valve cover.

delray

if you start to rev rpm's high. for example 5-7000 rpm's you might want to build a catch can with a return line. briggs will start to puke oil out the breather tube. but for your application I believe you said the 5hp was all stock? so it really won't see over 5000 rpm's might be ok.