old alexander reynolds mini bike

i just acquired an old alexander reynolds arx rolling frame. i bought a snow blower for the engine. its an old tecumseh engine. i just didnt know or rare this bike is. ill ad pics soon. im just stuck on how to hook up or modify the throttle to the lever on the handle bars and a clutch/pully and belt.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes. You came to the right place, these guys will have you fixed up and riding that thing in no time!

thank you so much for letting me join in. im gonna have lots of questions. haha. this is my first mini bike build. i have pics of it im trying to uplode.

i have a question for the type or kind of clutch to get that bolts to the engine shaft. its belt driven then transfers to chain on the other side.

oldfatguy

nice bike, mine is a 1970. yours is a little newer 1972 or so.

you will need a 20 series torque converter driver and a belt or you can switch to chain drive clutch like I did.

for the throttle it easy enough to make a copy of the minibike style throttle hook up. There was someone here selling them .

The bike originally would of had an hs40 Tecumseh on it. I have an h60 on mine and it's a nice fit on the frame.

It's too bad that you are missing the original gas tank because they are hard to find. Your bike had the black plastic tank. I have seen people use a 1970s rupp gas tank which will fit too.

there are pictures in the Arco sales literature section of your bike so that you can see what they looked like. Your chrome looks like it's still in pretty good shape so it should clean up nicely. That style Arco makes a real nice off road rider and it is sort of a rare model because there aren't that many out there. A lot of the parts like the wheels and brakes etc. are the same as the 1970 rupp.

oldfatguy

Oldfatguy can I get a pic of the golden Arco on the other side for reference thanks. I got the same one..
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=2868

it is a model 3600, I bought it as a roller so the briggs isn't the original engine. I moved the engine plate forward so that the gas tank would clear the fender. The seat is original and I think that it's a 1970 . I just bought a 1969 roller I think that it is a model 3600 too. The original color was red. There are more pictures in my photo section of the four Arco bikes that I have.

do you have a picture of the chain driven clutch set up. and i tried to search for that torque converter whats the difference for each one. 20,30,40 series. i was looking at the harborfreight 8hp engine just to throw on. i want a briggs but there to expensive for the ones around the area. i cant wait to get it going.

oldfatguy

with the torque converters the difference between the 20 and the 30 series is in the shape of the belt. The 20 series is a V-shape belt with both angles the same . While the 30 series belt is wider and is two different angles. For the chain clutch you put a gear on the jack shaft instead of the driven of the torque converter. The bigger the gear [more teeth] that you use will lower the gear ratio. I used a 12 tooth clutch and a 20 tooth gear on the jackshaft. You want something around 8 to 1 for all around riding. that is 8 turns of the clutch gear to one turn of the rear wheel. The chain clutch is less expensive but the torque converter set up is better. The 6 hp harbor freight clone should fit. I never tried to put a briggs on it but it should work too. I like the big block Tecumseh engines the 6hp runs and sounds great on a minibike.

oldfatguy

I don't think that the do.

you probably will have to buy a complete 30 series set up , that is if they even make that in 1 inch.

I know that the 40 series comes in one inch but the are expensive. Even 1" chain clutches are expensive compared to 3/4".

you could have the crankshaft machined to 3/4"

there are ways to cheat and run a gear and chain on the 1" engine crank to the jackshaft and the run a 5/8 or 3/4 clutch on the other end to the rear wheel. It's not the best way to do it but will work so that you can get the bike going. There are also two different chain sizes too