old clinton engine, help needed

I have a old clinton engine, looks to be either 2.5 or 3hp

series 400.

Walboro carb, I put a new carb kit in. If that wasnt hard enough to find.

Here is what it's doing.

starts easy, idles okay. But not right.

Seems to just slowly build speed up, I open throttle up all the way and I cant tell that I have. just slowly gets going.

Now if I left wheel off the ground, it zips quick and okay.

I have found issue with rich mixture screw on bottom of float bowl.

I only have it about 1/4 out. any more and I get black smoke and it dies.

So I am not sure what may be wrong. It did this before the new carb kit. Thats why I got a new kit.

now the clutch on it, seems to work fine came off a 5 hp. So I was maybe thinking that I needed a lower sized clutch.

However, The clutch that was on it orginally did the same thing, but the brass bushing was bad causing the chain to move to much and fall off.

Maybe its me and my 200 pound butt, this will be for a 60 pound kid. but I am pretty sure that somethings not right.

Idle set at 1 1/2 ,but fuel screw only at 1/4. any more and it black smoke and dies and wont run. So i know its rich. I close it all the way and it dies.

its like I only have about 1/8th to work with.

now there is know gasket on the bowl inside middle whole, where the fuel screw comes through only on the outside of the bowl.

I put a new rubber gasket around the bowl. the one on it, looked good but changed anyway.

Sporty

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The mixture screw might have been the problem the whole time. If it throws out black smoke your turning it the wrong way. (rich) You may need to lean it out just a bit to get it going better. Also your motor and every ones motor always respond by leaning out at, or near to speed.

I dont think thats the only issue.

I know rich is black smoke. But as I mentioned. That thats only a 1/4 a way open from fully closed,

As i mentioned, I only havw about 1/8th of turn to really work with before I encounter black smoke from fully closed.

As I was wondering why such a small range.

usally anywhere from 3/4 to 2 1/2 I have found on many engines I have worked on. But this is pretty odd.

Sporty

Hey Sporty

What elevation do you live at. I live around 600ft. And my low speed adjustment is set around 1 to 1-1/4 and my high speed at around 1-1/2. But when i went to Windber PA the elevation is around 2800ft and i had to set some of my carbs low speed around 1-1/2 and my high speed around 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Just a thought.

JOsh

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Your best bet is to take your motor to a lawnmower shop. If it's the stock carb setup I would be just guessing around. I don't know enough info on stock 2.5-3hp Clinton carbs.

If I actually had it in hand I could figure it out fast.

Hey Sporty

Where in Illinois. I live in lockport,Il just between joliet and chicago. If your close you can bring it by and i can figure it out for you.

Josh

4 or 2 stroke ?

This might be a silly question, but is it a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. I once had a 2stroke engine on a mini-bike that was sort of weak starting out. Once the engine built up rpm's it would literally scream. It would go so fast it was a little scary. I just had to push with my legs to get it going.

Get a new spark plug, Mine did this before a carb rebuild and it did nothing to improve until I put a new spark plug in, Runs excellent now.