Old Engines

Hey Guys

I was cleaning out the garage yesterday, and ran across all my old engines. With all this talk of old engines i thought i would post a pic and share. I know just about all of us have some old ones in the garage so lets see some pics.

From left to right

1942 Briggs model N(runs), briggs model 6, Tecumseh 2.5 hp, Tecumseh-craftsman with walbro carb and internal oil pump(runs), Tecumseh-Craftsman with updraft tillotson carb(runs), then 2 old Clinton cast iron engines(both run)

Josh

yep the older engines have the tag stamped onto the side on the blower housing and now they stamp the vin into the blower housing. Ive got it down pat to just look at the vin and tell when it was made.
I found this old 1963 briggs spin start in my cousin's great grandma's garage. It has great compression. This type engine is one of the coolest ive seen. You flip the lever back on top of the blower housing, wind it up until it clicks a couple of times. Put it back down in the position it was and pull a release button on the bottom of the blower housing. Better make sure your hands are out of the way cause that thing comes around fast. It basically starts itself. I have the 1962 frame that this same type engine come off of so im thinking of getting this one and using it sence its never going to be used.

delray

hey josh, still have not seen any engines that look like the red and gold with the big square pull cover?

hey minibikekid, 20+ years ago my neighbor had one on her lawnmower and she was scared to start it,so i would or someone else would start it for her.

here is a picture of a handcrank wind-up on a tecumseh horz-engine.
note:that the carb is vertical and the engine never had a id tag on the side cover. the only id tag it has is bolted to the crankcase cover?
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/brian_c_53711/album/576460762383313665

delray

If your real good you can mill the head out and weld the lobes higher on the cam. Mic them and grind them down to make them perfect then that 11hp would haul butt! Then you would have a problem with the stock rod, too bad they dont make billet rods for the bigger engines. Someone should do that and get it patended and pended.
Thats what i would do if it were mine! Those bigger engines have crazy torque for some mean burn outs!