Old School H22

markus

Picked this up at an engine and tractor show last week. Its a 1961-62 H22 (2 1/4 hp) just before they transitioned to the typical engine tags, and started to ween themselves off the lauson (and power products) name/s. While some of these engines were in use on earlier mini's, the side saddle tank version like this was not from what Ihave seen in this particular timeframe. So I figured I would pull that stuff right off and have it available for a Rupp cub/econocyle/racsal/chopper, or chevy Jr. Kart and convert it to standard shroud if its something worth messing with internally, basically use the fuel tank to partially fund the build :)

h22 11.jpg

With some fuel It kicked, but didnt want to run. I figured the timing was off among other things, so I decided to tear it apart and have a look. Someone did have it apart, Looks like to maybe try and revive it from sitting not becuase of damage, but didn't know what they were doing. Valve faces sandpapered/rough but valve seats untouched (exhaust pitted pretty bad), They had a piece of tape with a line drown on it stuck to the flywheel, and when I popped the wheel you can see where they had the mag screwed down everywhere but the right spot :D I will give the credit though, the flywheel, snout threads, and nut were still fine.

These early built engines had the pinned valves, and used tiny springs compared to the later small frame H/HS engines got.

h22 3.jpg

Guides came in halfway on the cutters pilot seen stuck in the exhaust guide, so thats a good thing.

h22 4.jpg

Full teardown, showed pretty well other than the valves and seats, nothing was out of spec or really damaged as I measure everything as I remove to see just how bad its gonna be. Note the Wico made ignition system, Some hardware, and stampings on bolts are different than typical 1960's-early 1970's engines too if your looking to restore or replicate an early engine.

h22 5.jpg
While this one is a non bearing supported, splash lubricated, they still had the oil pump versions available at that time so this one has the Hollow camshaft that also worked on the oil pumpers.

h22 8.jpg

Off to the vertical lathe for journal surface prep :p

h22 6.jpg

comparing the springs to later models (bottom) you can see quite a difference in size:

h22 7.jpg

Started working out the kinks, I got the block stripped, worked out the deck warps (I will maybe do an article on some of the changes that Tecumseh did in the middle/later 1960's to address that problem as noted in some Technicians literature) Recut the valve seats in a 3 angle cut trying to keep it at a minimum, debured the ports and recut the original valves for a fresh, tight fit.

h22 9.jpg

and finally for today ( I gotta get the final prep/block out work done on a customers engine so I can paint it hopefully in the next 2 days) I got the cylinder prepped.......I love a good crosshatch :cool:

h22 10.jpg

Picked this up at an engine and tractor show last week. Its a 1961-62 H22 (2 1/4 hp) just before they transitioned to the typical engine tags, and started to ween themselves off the lauson (and power products) name/s. While some of these engines were in use on earlier mini's, the side saddle tank version like this was not from what Ihave seen in this particular timeframe. So I figured I would pull that stuff right off and have it available for a Rupp cub/econocyle/racsal/chopper, or chevy Jr. Kart and convert it to standard shroud if its something worth messing with internally, basically use the fuel tank to partially fund the build :)

View attachment 276416

With some fuel It kicked, but didnt want to run. I figured the timing was off among other things, so I decided to tear it apart and have a look. Someone did have it apart, Looks like to maybe try and revive it from sitting not becuase of damage, but didn't know what they were doing. Valve faces sandpapered/rough but valve seats untouched (exhaust pitted pretty bad), They had a piece of tape with a line drown on it stuck to the flywheel, and when I popped the wheel you can see where they had the mag screwed down everywhere but the right spot :D I will give the credit though, the flywheel, snout threads, and nut were still fine.

These early built engines had the pinned valves, and used tiny springs compared to the later small frame H/HS engines got.

View attachment 276420

Guides came in halfway on the cutters pilot seen stuck in the exhaust guide, so thats a good thing.

View attachment 276421

Full teardown, showed pretty well other than the valves and seats, nothing was out of spec or really damaged as I measure everything as I remove to see just how bad its gonna be. Note the Wico made ignition system, Some hardware, and stampings on bolts are different than typical 1960's-early 1970's engines too if your looking to restore or replicate an early engine.

View attachment 276423
While this one is a non bearing supported, splash lubricated, they still had the oil pump versions available at that time so this one has the Hollow camshaft that also worked on the oil pumpers.

View attachment 276424

Off to the vertical lathe for journal surface prep :p

View attachment 276425

comparing the springs to later models (bottom) you can see quite a difference in size:

View attachment 276422

Started working out the kinks, I got the block stripped, worked out the deck warps (I will maybe do an article on some of the changes that Tecumseh did in the middle/later 1960's to address that problem as noted in some Technicians literature) Recut the valve seats in a 3 angle cut trying to keep it at a minimum, debured the ports and recut the original valves for a fresh, tight fit.

View attachment 276426

and finally for today ( I gotta get the final prep/block out work done on a customers engine so I can paint it hopefully in the next 2 days) I got the cylinder prepped.......I love a good crosshatch :cool:

View attachment 276427
Speaking of oil pumps. Have you ever had or seen a HS with the oil pump? I've heard of them on the H but never saw one. Just wondering how they did it. Sure was a better way to lube than splash systems. My dads '67 Ariens H5 has a boss below the breather, I assume it was for the pump.

markus

Speaking of oil pumps. Have you ever had or seen a HS with the oil pump? I've heard of them on the H but never saw one. Just wondering how they did it. Sure was a better way to lube than splash systems. My dads '67 Ariens H5 has a boss below the breather, I assume it was for the pump.
No, The oil pumps seemed to end for the small frame H's right about this point, maybe even a little earlier. Only thing you will see in some of the earlier ball bearing version HS40's and ball bearing supported H22-35's (up to around 1970) is the side casecovers (which were an original design from the oil pumps) still showed the oil screen pickup box on the bottom, oil pump assembly mount (behind the governor they replaced it with on these), and undrilled oil galleys on the inside going to the camshaft and crank bearing Like this one:

delray

Pretty nifty! Did the rod bearing get lubed too? I know on the vertical shaft engines there was a passage to the rod. This sure helps with longevity, and cuts down on windage, for more hp.
i believe it did. rod that was in this oil pump engine had no dipper on it. not to get off of marcus engine build thread,but maybe marcus can find something in is books on it. like marcus said earlier the oil pump setup was very short lived in the small blocks. tecumseh should of made it pump through a very small external oil filter and just ran a dipper on the crank. engine would of last forever.....lol

Pretty nifty! Did the rod bearing get lubed too? I know on the vertical shaft engines there was a passage to the rod. This sure helps with longevity, and cuts down on windage, for more hp.
These motors could be made full oil pressure. We used these when we raced 1/4 midgets. The pump went to the cam bearing, through the cam to the other side. Into the main bearing and up to the rod bearing. They were the cat's meow. We had a billet aluminum rod with a babbit insert. Somewhere on here is a picture of the connectiong rod. Anybody have a pump cover they don't want? The picture of the one with the cover can be turned into a pump. I had one made and I called to see if I could get another, not without a pattern. Someone asked about bigger blocks. We found some pumps on a larger frame motor. Don't remember what, but the pumps were the same. You could get the gears and a cover. I have one gear. Looking for the rest.

delray

These motors could be made full oil pressure. We used these when we raced 1/4 midgets. The pump went to the cam bearing, through the cam to the other side. Into the main bearing and up to the rod bearing. They were the cat's meow. We had a billet aluminum rod with a babbit insert. Somewhere on here is a picture of the connectiong rod. Anybody have a pump cover they don't want? The picture of the one with the cover can be turned into a pump. I had one made and I called to see if I could get another, not without a pattern. Someone asked about bigger blocks. We found some pumps on a larger frame motor. Don't remember what, but the pumps were the same. You could get the gears and a cover. I have one gear. Looking for the rest.
yes i believe i sent you a picture of the billet rod used in this motor.... thumb1.PNG

markus

The medium frames had some of the same oil pumps someone just opened one up on facebook in the last couple of days, so heres a fresh pic they posted up 159769801_2886372671601583_6255723775262208870_o.jpg

The medium frames had some of the same oil pumps someone just opened one up on facebook in the last couple of days, so heres a fresh pic they posted up View attachment 276580
That is some good engineering, too bad the bean counters put the kabosh on it. So many died due to the rod spitting out the block. Any idea what years they used this, or how to ID if one has it? Wonder if a peak in the oil dipstick would help ID.

markus

I'm looking for an engine for a Dart Cycle, probably an early H -22 or an H-35
this one will be available, was going to sell it as is but when I saw it needed a valve job I figured I rebuild at least the short block correctly and get the timing in order since not everyone has the tools to get it done.

delray

here is something for you to see markus. i thought you would like to see this. i have a nos sister engine like yours with the paper ring gas cap caution still on it. interesting that yours has the metal kill switch and has the different decals too but it appears to be about the same year motor?
trainand autofest 0531.JPG

delray

That is some good engineering, too bad the bean counters put the kabosh on it. So many died due to the rod spitting out the block. Any idea what years they used this, or how to ID if one has it? Wonder if a peak in the oil dipstick would help ID.
what i have seen on these little guys is the very first engines appear to have a float carb that was very short lived and then tecumseh used the diaphragm carb from there on. for example if my engine or markus engine was built 61? they would be a later month engine?
carb 6162.jpg

these is all i got for a ID tag(sticker). i do have number casted in the pto cover and maybe the carb?
markus is your ID like this too? kind of looks like you have the metal ID tag.
trainand autofest 0542.JPG

Last edited:

markus

here is something for you to see markus. i thought you would like to see this. i have a nos sister engine like yours with the paper ring gas cap caution still on it. interesting that yours has the metal kill switch and has the different decals too but it appears to be about the same year motor?
View attachment 276596

Yes I have seen you post that one up in the past, Good looking engine! I would venture to say yours either a little newer or maybe box/replacement unit where mine was probably on a piece of equipment originally. Tecumseh was working to change the lead name to them over the lauson brand at that point, but I would imagine that equipment manufacturers were still wanting that trusted Lauson (and Power Products) name/s on their machines making customers feel all warm and fuzzy. You could see it happening on the signage/advertising from 1958-mid 1960's eventually weening it down enough that they just used the name on little things like the carbs, probably to keep the rights to the name in play.

Heres some of the signage I have that shows the changes in wording/design through the late 50's and 60's.

note on the early the Tecumseh is small and the font is what stuck with the compressor/refrigeration division all through the years........what ultimately gave Mr. Herrick all the $$$$ to buy both Lauson and PP and become a leader in the small engine world in the blink of an eye
IMG_2138.JPG

Major shift here, but still keeping that that special L and font styles big and bold on the Lauson and PP names
IMG_2139.JPG

Way cool 3D sign from that era that I recently acquired still new in its packaging :cool:
IMG_2396.JPG

within 10 years of purchase of lauson they had the names just shoved in on the main logo which was pretty much the norm till they went to ugly logo in the mid 1980's and the hideous swoosh oval in the 90's up doing away with the indian head altogether.
IMG_2140.JPG

I sold the side tank and shroud off for mine like I intended so It wont ever look like that version again :)

markus

These early plug over the intake heads have a ridge around them and the old style gasket fit them better than the later replacment does. Both the head and the deck were wonky and as stated earlier they were working on that through the 60's and redesigned the head gaskets and even the head to help prevent blowing the gaskets. I don't even know if I will use this head or not, may just throw the standard centered plug head on it as that was another thing that was being changed right at this timeframe as well. But for the heck of it I went ahead and took that lip right off. still had some low spots beyond that from casting so it took .016" to clear all that and run flat.

IMG_2421.JPG

The piston out of this engine was really nice, and the bore is great and no more than .002 if even over spec (Tecumseh says .005 and you should OS) That was after deglazing. So I just did some cleanup. got to use the piston groove cutter, I need some more practice, but it got the buildup out of the grooves pretty good with minimal effort.

IMG_2424.JPG

Got everything rounded up that needs to be thoroughly washed before assembly to get all the grit from reworking everything last night.
IMG_2433.JPG

Got my bench sorted out, parts that have come in this week sorted somewhat washed the H22 parts and got it setup and ready to assemble.

IMG_2436.JPG

Got all setup to install the Wico ignition system and ran into a snag...... The timing tool does not make it to the piston with this version head! I will dig out a later head in the morning or just do it the old way, with a flatbar across the deck and feeler guages........I'm done for the night and going to bed! IMG_2437.JPG