Old style 212 carb issue

Got another Murray track 2 with a old style predator 212, did a carb job on it. It's idles perfect on choke, take choke off dies, without 3/4 to full throttle. I know this has happened before to other ppl. Did the search up top, looked through 10 pages couldn't find what I need, so this is why I'm posting a thread. Any and all help would be helpful. Thanks!!!

So are you looking for another carb ? Or trying to fix that one ? Sounds like the low side circuit is clogged, maybe the low side jet.

Trying to get this one going. I took the jets, e-tube and the black plastic jet out and sprayed everything with carb cleaner. And still idles fine but shuts off when choke is switched off

Last edited:
Did you set the Idle speed up ? When you use the choke you make the carb draw more fuel and less air, but you know that. I would clean the passage out for the low side jet...two or three tiny holes on the backside of the butterfly and an air passage at the very front of the carb. If your carb cleaner comes with the small straw or tube ...use that and clean the low side passage and jet. Also check the two tiny o'rings on the lowside jet....if they are bad order another jet.

Did you set the Idle speed up ? When you use the choke you make the carb draw more fuel and less air, but you know that. I would clean the passage out for the low side jet...two or three tiny holes on the backside of the butterfly and an air passage at the very front of the carb. If your carb cleaner comes with the small straw or tube ...use that and clean the low side passage and jet. Also check the two tiny o'rings on the lowside jet....if they are bad order another jet.
Yes sir I did. It idles fine with the choke on, only when u switch the choke off is when it dies. I did squirt some cleaner in both holes, The low side jet is the black one under the idle screw right? I shot some in there and the jet. The prongs were messed up looking. Could that be the problem?

Yea if the jet is messed up it could cause this, and yes the low side jet is the black one under the idle screw.

Last edited:
Yea if the jet is messed up it could cause this, and yes the low side jet is the black one under the idle screw.

Cool deal. Thank you OND, I will have to get a new one and try it out. I'm not use to these carbs that much, and haven't had that much experience with them.