Old style shroud question

Has anyone put an old style shroud from a points type engine on a newer style engine with electronic ignition? I have a newer 3.5 hp side popper and I would like to use a shroud I have from a hs40. It seems to fit but the starter cups and recoils are different. Any ideas?

it depends on what you are trying to do EXACTLY..

IF you just wanna go from the newer to the older starter, you can just swap the cover AND THE STARTER CUP...

swapping covers.....

WITH NO FLYWHEEL on the engine... ANY H35 and down, or any HS shroud, will bolt onto any small block and base..

The ( points /EIC ) doesn't matter so much, it is the flywheel that you have and crank it is on, that will cause your nightmares....

MOST of the HS engines, and a good majority of the 3.5's use the (Iron) flywheel... Rototilllers, snow blowers, generators, minibikes after 1974 or whatever.. :shrug:

SOME of the HS engines, Minibike specific, AND predating whatever year (74??) :shrug: and MANY of the OLDER H35, 25' and side pooper engines, use aluminum wheels...

Round top, or Teardrop covers... Those covers only fit the aluminum, non lighted, non ring gear, flywheels...

THEN if you have a non lighted, WITH ring gear flywheel, you need the correct cover for that flywheel, or chop off the teeth to get it under the sidepooper roundtop...

If you have an iron flywheel you are stuck with the square looking cover... Unless you CAN interchange for an aluminum flywheel ( which is very sketchy)

OR you could maybe find an old Lauson blower housing, and convert it to Tecumseh starter cup, might buy you the distance you need...

I've heard the aluminum lighted HS wheel is deeper and requires a lighted HS cover.. I've never (seen it) but completely believe it..

I used a Lauson cover, with older Tecumseh starter, to cover a shaved down lighted iron flywheel, with plastic fins, on this engine..