Old Tecumseh engine oil, Synthetic or regular?

mustangfrank

I forget what year unleaded gas came out? This TEC engine was from 1972. So if it was before unleaded then it should run better with the AV gas?
Two different things, if the valve seats aren't hardened leaded gas or lead additive prevents wear...stock engines designed to run 87 octane run best with 86-89 octane gas.

fhpe77

Cross Keys Airport? I live less than 15 minutes from there in Erial. Leaded gas is not the best choice for living beings. Yes, the engine will like it but our kids can do without additional lead in their bodies. My solution is expensive but is readily available. Head over to Tractor Supply on Berlin Cross Keys Road and get you some of this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cle-small-engine-fuel-1-gal-6201?cm_vc=-10005

Yes, $22/gallon is insane, however my high compression Predator loves the stuff. It smells good and the exhaust smells even better. My bike is a street cruiser and goes on short blasts around the neighborhood. A gallon lasts me a year. If I rode four times as much it would still be reasonable. This fuel is designed for small engines and contains no ethanol or detergents. Also, it has a 2-year shelf life in the can and 1-year in the tank. Of course this is probably not the optimal solution for someone who rides a lot. But the racing fuel exhaust smell....oh yeah!

-Ray

desert rat

copyman

You could fall asleep in my classes, I spent the last 27 years working for an auto manufacturer. Had lunch with the race teams. Walked the halls with engineers and I still don't know sh&t.
Still a cool job. After all that time hope you are retired or going to retire with a good pension. What did you train techs from dealerships?

desert rat

Still a cool job. After all that time hope you are retired or going to retire with a good pension. What did you train techs from dealerships?
I retired from R&D. THE coolest job. I retired on Sept 1st and miss it so bad, it was time to go. I have to be very careful about what I say now. I signed a contract and don't need to talk to the law dept.

copyman

I retired from R&D. THE coolest job. I retired on Sept 1st and miss it so bad, it was time to go. I have to be very careful about what I say now. I signed a contract and don't need to talk to the law dept.
I hear you. A public forum isn't the place to talk about that personal stuff anyway.

I'm thinking about selling my business and retiring but afraid will miss it like you do. I hope to have something setup before retiring. Think about golfing more but how much can you do. Not sure if I could get the wife to do it but would love to rent a motor home and travel the USA for a few months a year.

old shed finds

Anyone remember Sunoco gas pumps with a dial. I remember using the 280 gas in my 68 cuda and you could see a difference from the lower grades
Just think... The Cuda wouldn't even run on today crap fuel..
Back in high school in 1987 me and a buddy would fill the fuel tank in a 1976 Volare Road Runner Modified 318..... Fill the tank with AV gas from a pump we used to have at the Phillips 66 station back then.. Fry the rear wheels....

In 83 I had a 70 cuda 340 4sd....good gas was out there but not at every corner.....Saturday nights on Gratiot it would get the good stuff!! I want to say cam 2 fuel? Clark station.

I74

I remember the Clark stations ect....

My 70' pro street 'cuda, with a ''highly massaged'' X head 340+ ect., wouldn't run on any octane less than 97.
Comp. on that was around 11.7-1.
Had a 15 gal fuel cell in it, & used to carry a 5 gal. jug of VP 114 , & mixed that with pump premium,, when we went on trips.

I exclusively use 92 octane ''TRU FUEL'' in all my small engines under 250cc.
It is expensive @ 5 - 6 bucks a qt.,, & that's why I just use it & recommend it for engines under 250cc.
Great stuff to use on larger engines at the ''last run'' of the season,, instead of ''Stabil'' ect. though.

The stuff is the best ''hands down'' out of all the ''canned'' fuel,, also has a shelf life of over 3 years !
It burns super clean,, has stabilizers & friction modifiers ect., & you can just leave it in till next season ect. & fire right back up.;)

I

Last edited:

copyman

Cross Keys Airport? I live less than 15 minutes from there in Erial. Leaded gas is not the best choice for living beings. Yes, the engine will like it but our kids can do without additional lead in their bodies. My solution is expensive but is readily available. Head over to Tractor Supply on Berlin Cross Keys Road and get you some of this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cle-small-engine-fuel-1-gal-6201?cm_vc=-10005

Yes, $22/gallon is insane, however my high compression Predator loves the stuff. It smells good and the exhaust smells even better. My bike is a street cruiser and goes on short blasts around the neighborhood. A gallon lasts me a year. If I rode four times as much it would still be reasonable. This fuel is designed for small engines and contains no ethanol or detergents. Also, it has a 2-year shelf life in the can and 1-year in the tank. Of course this is probably not the optimal solution for someone who rides a lot. But the racing fuel exhaust smell....oh yeah!

-Ray
Howdy neighbor. I'm in Washington Twp. Ha-ha Small world as they say.

Great suggestions. Heading to Tractor supply in the morning.

Thanks

Last edited:

I74

The VP 4 cycle small engine fuel is also one of the ones me & my Buddy have tried in our bikes.
It was cheaper than TRU FUEL, but you could noticeably tell that they didn't run as good.
Still ''way'' better than pump gas these days though. ;)

copyman

Now that I'm thinking about it I had a weed trimmer that I forgot to dump the gas for winter. The following year I went to use it and wouldn't start. Looked inside gas tank and saw the tubes had broken into little pieces. Was this from the alcohol? It was 2 cycle engine

Now that I'm thinking about it I had a weed trimmer that I forgot to dump the gas for winter. The following year I went to use it and wouldn't start. Looked inside gas tank and saw the tubes had broken into little pieces. Was this from the alcohol? It was 2 cycle engine
Yes, the alcohol dries out all the rubber, corrodes the aluminum.

I74

Yellow Tygon fuel line seems to hold up best, from my years of messing with that stuff.
Any small engine fuel line though that's constantly exposed to ''pump fuel'' in this day & age, is only going to last so long,, regardless if it's ethanol or not.
Best thing to do is drain the shit out, & ''at least'' run a bit of Marvel oil just to coat things,,, ''not WD-40'',,,,- ''BAAAAADDD''!!!
Better yet,, like my previous post,, run & store it with can fuel that's at least rated for a couple of years shelf life.

There is so much crap & additives in pump gas these days, it doesn't even smell like gas.
Pump gas in a fuel can/jug or tank,, will generally start going bad after 30 days or so.
Remember especially in the 70's,, that gas in a can, would be good for months,,, as long as it was sealed.

Last edited:

fhpe77

Howdy neighbor. I'm in Washington Twp. Ha-ha Small world as they say.

Great suggestions. Heading to Tractor supply in the morning.

Thanks
Township eh? I graduated from Washington Twp High school in...well a long frickin' time ago. Used to live in Wedgewood, near the golf course.

I74 mentions Tru Fuel, that stuff is good too. Tru Fuel is 92 octane while VP SEF is 94 octane but that will not make much of a difference in a stock compression engine.

I've used Tru Fuel in my antique model airplane engines during contests. We typically use a 4:1 mix of Tru Fuel and Klotz Benol for Texaco fuel allotment classes, for increased run time. For limited engine run classes we use a 4:1 mix of methanol and Klotz Benol for more power. For those not familiar with these little engines, they are cross-scavenged, spark ignited two-stroke engines typically built in the 1930's and 1940's before the invention of the glow plug. While these engines will run on modern nitro fuel, it is not permitted by the rules and certainly not advised since the antique engines are not strong enough to tolerate the cylinder pressures generated by the nitro.

cfh

i live in michigan. i only run tecumseh engines. used regular pump gas but it's a freaking nightmare. the ethanol makes of mess of the original carbs. changed to china carbs, and the problem got worse. carbs would leak. take float bowl off and the bowl gasket would be 30% larger than it should be. let it dry out on the workbench for a few days, and gasket would return to original size. And to boot i would run gas out of the bikes (turn off the gas tank value and ride until it quits.) still had carb problems (though this really did help, but did not eliminate all problems.)

changed to non-ethanol gas. which is *really* easy to find in michigan due to all the lakes. yes it's $5/gallon, but well worth it. all my carb problems went away. it's well worth the extra money.